Ai and Shinzo Face the Facts 3.9

What he remembered next was running, sprinting. He didn't care about the dusk look outside, some stars beginning to pop in the sky. Streetlights were on and gave a clear path on where Ai was running off to.

She quickly glanced and they met eyes. And just as quick, she looked away and ran even faster.

"What did I do?" Shinzo thought as she continued to tail her. She was a fast runner, no doubt.

But that didn't mean he couldn't catch up.

He touched his lips and felt that they were still tingling. "Was it the way I kissed? Did I suck at it? I mean, I did get experience beforehand. Wait, did she realize that she wasn't my first kiss just by doing it?"

Really? She's running off and that's the reason you thought of? Pathetic...and lucky bastard.

He had a good talent of guessing what other people thought, did well when figuring out enemies. Yet he had no clue what Ai was thinking.

"Why did she kiss me? Why in that moment alone?" he thought, blurring a bit his surroundings, focused only on one girl at hand: the one he was chasing after. As she crossed a traffic jam, she made no effort to do it the ordinary way. She jumped and landed on one roof of a car and started to jump to another one, turning them into steps. Then she hopped down to the hard concrete once more and went off.

Bad timing for Shinzo as the street had the green light and the cars started to move. Then he eyed at the side of a building near him. He saw a flagpole that he judged to be sturdy. And he spotted another flagpole like it at the other side.

He saw the architecture of the building and saw that it might do. Suddenly, he jumped to one ledge and made his way up the wall. Then he clambered onto the pole and swung himself, gaining momentum. Then at the right moment, he threw himself forward above the street.

Risky as it was, he knew what to do.

He caught the flagpole, now at the other side and decelerated himself as he went down to the ground, making a clean landing. Ignoring the stares of people around him, he continued the chase.

Then he realized that they were making their way through a park.

It was beautiful at night, lit well with lanterns and fancy lights hung among the wooden arches and trees of the place. No one was there for that evening as most people tired from work or school headed back home.

With his physique and despite the long distance, he was able to reach her to a distance where he could hear her. And she could hear him.

"Ai, wait!" he shouted. Both were at a concrete pavement, a rectangular one accompanied by grey plant boxes: huge ones at that with palm trees that protruded up high. Lights and lanterns trailed from one branch to another, one tree to the other. The light was enough for them to see each other. And to see what their looks were.

While Shinzo panted at bit, earning some beads of sweat from the chase, Haaysaka breathed deeply as she stopped.

"Tired already?" Shinzo thought. Then he shook his head. "Not likely. She won't get tired at a chase like this."

Careful not to send her off running again, he thought of a good way to start the chat.

"Um..." he shouted. "Can we talk about this?"

Real smooth. Yes, I meant that sarcastically.

As she turned around though, the sight fell on him like a blade plunged deep inside him. A single tear fell from her eye. She wore a confused and sad face as she saw Shinzo. Then unable to bear it, she cupped her mouth and even started to sob.