Hayasaka and Shinzo Take a Summer Trip 2.7

He and Eru did not agree to work in a restaurant, however.

"Just why did you go for this kind of business endeavor?" he asked his uncle with an exasperated voice. He had an order or two to mind and there were a lot of customers to entertain.

"What's wrong with opening a restaurant?" his uncle said as he grilled salmon and stirred a pot of soup.

"We didn't train for this," he complained.

"Yeah, well we didn't ask your help technically on this part."

Houtarou gritted his teeth.

"Damn you, charity and empathy!" he screamed inside.

Awhile ago, Houtarou was ready to put away the barista apron. And by the time he cooled down as he reached closing time of the café, he relaxed. And when he relaxed, he noticed some things: a frying pan, some pots stowed in a corner, some large spoons fit for bowls, etc.

"They're not baking utensils," he wondered as he went to ask his aunt.

"Hey, aunt," he asked, "why do we have frying pans here despite this place only being a café?"

"Oh, that?" she piped up from settling down the final touches of some caramel frappes. "That's because we open this place as a restaurant at night."

Yeah, that's a good explanation," Houtarou nodded as his rational thinking side agreed. Then his mind went black, with his lazy side starting to panic.

"Woah, woah, woah," he waved his hands around in a surprised voice. "We did not agree to this. I only wanted to work at a café, not a restaurant."

"And you did," said his uncle as he burst into the kitchen, carrying some mugs and plates. "Houtarou, take these, would you kindly? Thank you. Yeah, anyways, you're free to go now. We could handle this."

Houtarou raised a brow, not believing that statement for a second as he glanced outside.

He knew it was dinnertime and a lot of people were going to come here and eat. And he was not going to believe that only two people could do that job.

But he shrugged. "A promise is a promise," he said as he put away the last washed mugs. "Time to kiss this apron goodbye." And was about to take it off.

Until someone patted him in the back.

"Houtarou," Eru suggested with that childlike tone from her voice, "I think we should help them out tonight. I mean, there are a lot of hungry people outside."

"And all the better that I should be gone to rest now," he almost said. He turned and met the eyes of his girlfriend, giving off that sense of concern not only from her voice, but also from her looks.

"Please, Houtarou," she pleaded, "It's the least we could do."

"Eru," he complained, "I'm tired." No doubt about that: his eyes were leaning more to 'tired' rather than 'bored'.

"Forget it, Eru," his uncle said. "The guy's almost dead, I think. And believe me, nothing will get between him and that futon when he wants to."

The girl wanted to convince him more, but he was already through the back door and in the house. Closing the door behind him, muffling all of the noises from the workplace, he heaved a deep sigh. He comforted his throbbing head and ease his mind for a bit before heading upstairs.

But he stopped.

Some moments passed as he just stood at the corridor. His mind was locked in something. Only the sound of the clock down the hallway could be heard. Tick-tock. Tick-tock.