Chapter 17: Department of Mysteries

Start from the beginning

The Death Eaters began approaching, closing in around us, as the students raised their wands.

"I've waited 14 years," Harry muttered.

"Tsk. I know," Lucius cooed, his eyes softening.

"I think I can wait a little longer," Harry continued before shouting "Now!" to the rest of us. We began casting spells at the Death Eaters, sending them flying backward. We ran down the long rows of orbs as the Death Eaters chased us, lashing at our heels. Luna was close behind me as Antonin Dolohov gained on us. I looked back, seeing his hand reach out for her and my skin burned with rage as I grabbed her wrist and tugged her forward. She stumbled slightly and Dolohov growled as she was pulled from his reach and pushed in front of me. We nearly ran into Neville, who'd just petrified another Death Eater and we pulled him with us.

"Harry!" I called, no longer able to see any of the other children.

"We're here!" he called back and we began running in the direction of his voice. Finally we collided with the rest of the group as more Death Eaters surrounded us.

"Reducto!" I heard Ginny yell, sending a Death Eater flying backward. A slight rumble could be heard as the orbs began to shake and come crashing to the floor. We began running toward the exit as several Death Eaters followed us. We burst through the door and the ground dropped from beneath as we began falling. Just as I thought we were about to hit the ground with a splat our momentum paused and we hovered in midair for a moment before dropping to the ground with a thump. We stood, some of the students struggling slightly as they'd sustained a few injuries during the fight.

"Is everyone alright?" I asked and they nodded in return.

"Department of Mysteries!" Ron exclaimed. "They got that bit right, didn't they?"

We chuckled before Harry turned toward a seemingly empty archway.

"The voices," he muttered. "Can you tell what they're saying?"

I turned toward the archway, finally hearing faint whispering sounds.

"There aren't any voices, Harry," Hermione assured. "Let's get out of here."

"I hear them too," Luna said as Harry slowly inched closer.

"Harry, it's just an empty archway."

I could feel Hermione growing anxious as Harry continued to stare at the archway.

"Harry, please!" she hissed when suddenly we could see Death Eaters approaching from above.

"Get behind me!" I hissed as we raised our wands and I clutched Harry's arm, holding tightly as the Death Eaters swirled around us in a cloud of black smoke. I could hear the students struggling as we fought against the Death Eaters but it was no use. I clutched Harry tightly and suddenly the smoke cleared as we realized everyone else had been grabbed. I helped Harry to his feet, keeping him behind me as I looked around the room. The other Death Eaters had my students hostage, wands to their throats, as Lucius's laughter filled our ears.

"Did you actually believe... or were you truly naive enough to think... children stood a chance against us?" His voice was low and dangerous, practically mocking, as he approached Harry and I, his hand outstretched. "I'll make this simple for you, Potter... give me the prophecy now... or watch your friends die." His eyes fell on me, a slight smirk on his face. "Starting with her." He raised his wand to my chin and I set my jaw, trying not to let my tears slip as I saw an entirely new side of Lucius. He grabbed my wrist, pulling me away from Harry and pressing my back against his chest as he pressed his wand to my throat.

"It's okay, love," I murmured to Harry, who screamed as Lucius pulled me away. Tears filled his eyes as he shook his head.

"Don't do it, Harry!" Neville shouted. "This isn't what she would want!"