Chapter 15: Veritaserum

Start from the beginning

"N-no! Of course not, my Lord."

The image faded and my eyes searched the room, trying to regain sense of where I was, before they landed on Severus. His hands were tightly holding mine as he searched my eyes.

"Darling? Is everything alright?"

I nodded but before I could say anything more a knock on the door caught our attention. Severus huffed in annoyance before releasing my hands. "Come in," he hissed.

"The headmistress has requested your presence, Professor Snape," Draco said before his eyes fell on me.

"Y/n? A-are you alright?"

"Leave, Draco."

"Severus, don't be rude," I hissed before turning to Draco. "I'm fine, love. What does Umbridge want?"

"Well, she actually requested both of you... she found Potter trying to use the Floo network to contact someone... she believes he was contacting Dumbledore."

I sighed, thanking him for letting us know, before Severus and I began walking toward her office.

"Darling, what happened back there? What did you see?" Severus asked.

"My father is planning something... he believes Harry will come to them."

"Why would he..." He trails off, not knowing what more to say as we reach the headmaster's office... or rather now the headmistress's office.

"Ah, Snape. I would like another bottle of Veritaserum, as quickly as you can, please."

"I'm afraid you've used up the last of my stores interrogating students," he replied, a small smirk playing on his lips. "Surely you did not use it all? I told you that three drops would be sufficient."

"You can make some more, can't you?" Umbridge replied, growing frustrated.

"Certainly," Severus replied. "It takes a full moon cycle to mature, so I should have it ready for you in around a month."

"A month?" she shrieked. "But I need it this evening, Snape! I have just found Potter using my fire to communicate with a person or persons unknown!"

"Really," Severus replied, coolly. "Well, it doesn't surprise me. Potter has never shown much inclination to follow school rules."

"I wish to interrogate him!" Umbridge shrieked. "I wish you to provide me with a potion that will force him to tell me the truth!"

"I have already told you that I have no further stocks of Veritaserum. Unless you wish to poison Potter — and I assure you I would have the greatest sympathy with you if you did — I cannot help you."

Umbridge huffed in annoyance. "You are being deliberately unhelpful! I expected better! Lucius Malfoy always speaks most highly of you! Now get out of my office!" Severus bowed and turned to leave, his eyes flashing to mine, as he silently told me to come with him.

"He's got Padfoot!" Harry shouted. "He's got Padfoot at the place where it's hidden!"

I felt my throat beginning to close as the breath was knocked from my lungs. Umbridge began to question Severus and I as to what exactly was meant by Harry's statement. Harry's eyes found mine and I could see a million thoughts running around behind his head as he begged me to understand him.

"Padfoot? What is Padfoot? Where what is hidden? What is he talking about, Snape?" Umbridge hissed. Severus gently squeezed my hand, just barely noticeable, a sign for me to keep my emotions in check and stay quiet, though my eyes were filled with tears. My father had Sirius... and there was nothing I could do.

"No idea," Severus replied and left the room. I prepared to do the same but Umbridge was having none of that. "I did not dismiss you, Miss Y/l/n."

"I did not ask to be dismissed, Miss Umbridge."

"You are trying my patience," she hissed.

"And you are trying mine."

Severus turned to look at me and I shook my head. Find out if Sirius is okay. Go alert the Order.

He nodded softly and left the office as Umbridge turned to Harry. "Very well. You give me no choice, Potter... As this is an issue of ministry security, you leave me with... no alternative." She looks between Harry and I, as if trying to decide between one of us, though for what I am not entirely sure.

"The Cruciatus curse ought to loosen your tongue," she muttered to herself.

"That's illegal!" Hermione hissed.

"What Cornelius doesn't know... won't hurt him," Umbridge muttered as she turned down a photo on her desk, one I assumed was probably of Cornelius. She turned to Harry and raised her wand, before turning to me. Hermione opened her mouth, preparing to speak, but I quickly shook my head.

"Professor..."

"It's alright, Hermione." I turn to Umbridge. "This is truly a desperate attempt. It makes you look weak," I goaded.

"Cru-!"

"Professor, wait!" Draco called to her before turning to me. "Just tell her what she wants to know."

"I'm sorry, Draco... but I have no information for her. I know nothing."

"Please," he whispered, tears forming in his eyes. I could feel the tears forming in my eyes but I fought to keep them in. I was supposed to be Draco's godmother, Cissy had told me, but when I disappeared for several years, that never came to pass. Draco hadn't met me until he was nearly 2 years old but he was a sweet kid once... before his father changed him. We'd kept our distance during the school year just in case the ministry began questioning me about my involvement with the death eaters, but I was growing to regret that decision. I hadn't truly spoken with him in several years and I was beginning to see how the years had changed him, but I could sometimes still see that sweet little boy hiding behind this hard exterior.

"Just tell her what she wants to know," he begged.

"I'm sorry, Draco," I replied. "But I don't know anything."

With that, Umbridge shouted the curse and a familiar pain ripped through me, setting my nerves on fire as I fell to my knees. I could hear Harry screaming as the curse ripped through my nerves.

"Tell me the truth!" Umbridge shouted.

I wanted to cry, to scream that I knew nothing but no words left my lips as Hermione shouted: "Tell her, Harry! Tell her the truth and her pain will stop!"

Harry looked at Hermione confused as she continued. "Well, if you won't tell her where it is..."

Suddenly the curse was lifted and I collapsed onto the ground, breathing heavily. Harry ran toward me, gently taking my arm and lifting me as Umbridge began questioning Hermione.

"A-are you alright? I-I'm so sorry, Y/n."

"I'm fine, Harry. Look at me." I took his face in my hands. "You have nothing to be sorry for." I pulled him into a hug, whispering to him. "I am so proud of you, Harry."

"Dumbledore's secret weapon," Hermione replied to Umbridge.

Ron and Harry looked confused but I smirked, knowing exactly what Hermione was doing, stalling for time. Clever witch.

"Hermione... don't," I murmur, knowing this would make Umbridge believe there was some secret weapon we were trying to hide.

"Well," Umbridge hissed. "What is this weapon?"