Chapter 8: The Queen's Call

-

AGATHA,
Hey loser, how's it been? (Don't answer that, I don't actually care). Listen, Dot and I are back in town, we're going to bunk at your old home, so stop by before you forget and ditch us for that pillock, Sophie. We have a lot to talk about. And I mean A. LOT. Take this with urgency, because if I have to keep talking to Dot, the meathead, I might just combust. ALSO, you did promise me a trip to Bloodbrook, for that weird nightclub that serves mystery drinks that probably give you alcohol poisoning. You've put it off for long enough. Anyway, Dot's being a pest, so the rest of the letter is her. (P.s., hope you liked the blood, busboy was pissing me off. If Dot says he was flirting, DO NOT believe her. Boys are filthy, remember that. Bye).

Hey Agatha!!! Me and Hester missed you sooo much! I have so much to tell you about our travels in Ravenbow/Ravenswood and Frostplains, like the snow giant we saw, and that cute boy that was flirting with Hester, and all the things I turned to chocolate, like a snow cone. It wasn't very tasty, but it was an experience nonetheless...

I don't know what to actually write, so I'll tell you everything in person, since you'll be coming. (Hester's behind me telling me to write that she'll maim you if you don't show). Hope everything's going okay at the castle! We saw Hort on his way, and Hester, as per usual, gave him a thrashing for saying something stupid.

Looking forward to seeing you soon, love!
-Dot & Hester :)

-

Agatha was in the midst of writing a letter back to her friends, when there was a sudden knock on her door.

"Yeah?" She called from her desk.

"Hey Agatha, urm..."

"What's wrong, Ben?"

Benedict, one of the stewards and a work friend, peeped his head through the door and looked worriedly at her. Agatha tilted her head to the side, gesturing him to continue.

"Uh... the Queen. She wants to see you. She's calling you into her study."

Agatha knew that if she was being called into her study, something was wrong, and she was in trouble.

"Oh. Something happen?"

Ben shook his head, took a moment, then opened his mouth again.

"I might have an inkling as to why she wants to see you, though."

-

The door to the Queen's study slowly opened.

"Did I give you permission to enter?"

Agatha took a breath, knowing not to piss off the Queen any more than she already apparently has.

"My apologies, your majesty. Forgive me for my discourteousness. May I come in?"

"You may."

Queen Vanessa was the perfect image of nobility. That being said... image. Behind closed doors, Vanessa was a monster, a tyrannical dictator motivated by power and greed, and she was willing to sacrifice anything to maintain her 'good' facade.

She wasn't so bad with the castle staff, mostly ignored them like gravel on a footpath. She looked through them, not willing to 'lower' herself down to talking to her servants. But with Agatha, she took it upon herself to make her job a living nightmare. Agatha didn't even know why, just that the few times she'd seen her when her mother worked as a royal physician, they'd not got on, often bickering and arguing over details she'd not been able to understand at such a young age.

Maybe it's because of her mother's and the Queen's previous dislike for each other that fuelled the hate Agatha received. But she ignored it all, for Sophie's sake.

"News has reached me, of one of your staff."

Ben was right, here it comes-

"One of your maids has found herself with child."

There it is.

"Is there an issue with that, your majesty?"

The Queen, who had her back to Agatha since the start if the conversation, turned to face her. She moved slowly from the window, in a way a lion might approach its prey.

"Your job, Lady Agatha, is to keep your servants in line. Not only have you failed to do that, but you've failed to do so a day before the ball" she explained, in the most demeaning of manners.

"How would that effect anything?" Agatha was genuinely confused.

"I don't appreciate the disrespect, girl." The queen snapped. Agatha winced.

"My apologies."

"Thanks to you and your inability to keep on top of things, we are now understaffed. This gives way to any little inconvenience, any little mistake, anything at all. And if something were to happen, that'd be the last I'd have to deal with you. That being said, do not embarrass me. I have a reputation i plan to uphold. If you so much as step a hair out of line tomorrow, I will have you escorted out of the castle, and out of Sophie's life. Is that clear?"

"Your highness, surely it can't be that bad? We're only down by one maid-"

"And that is one maid too many." Vanessa approached Agatha, took her by the jaw and forced eye contact. "I will not have you of all people ruin the carefully constructed image of me and my daughter. And don't think I didn't notice how you handled yourself around the king the past week." She pushed, seeming to come up with something. "Once the ball is over, you are to leave the castle grounds and never return."

Agatha, frozen in shock, was at a complete loss of what to say. She stuttered a little as she tried to reason with the queen. "B-but- you said-"

"I know what I said. I had a change of heart." The queen turned away again. "I suddenly remembered that after the ball, I won't need your services any more. Meaning you are relieved of your duties as of tomorrow evening."

This is not happening-

Clearly she's just nitpicking to get rid of me out of her own hatred...

"Dismissed."

...

"Yes your majesty."

-

This cant be happening.

This shouldn't be happening.

What did I do?

How have I upset her?!

Agatha sat down, stunned. Not a thought crossed her mind after that.

-

I'll be there in a few days.

-Agatha.

That's all she wrote to her friends that night.