Chapter 27

(Isabel's POV)

Isabel was suddenly gripped with guilt. Did she do the right thing? Henry, please forgive me! I'm a terrible friend!  What would happen if the bailiff died and Sir Neville found out that Henry was the one who threw the rock? Would Henry be executed? Would he have to pay a fine? He told her he had some money, but he was saving it to build a house for him and his mother. His plans would be ruined. What would he think of her?

Lord Goodwin placed his arms around her and pulled her into him. She let him hold her against his chest. She was getting his shirt wet with tears, but he didn't seem to mind.

She should pull away, but instead, she leaned closer and let his comfort flood around her. But the worry about what would happen to Henry came back.

She lifted her head from his chest. "Please help Henry if Sir Neville finds out about him."

"Don't worry. I'll take care of Henry and help him in every way possible."

She should push him away. His arms were strong, but he wouldn't make her stay.

But she didn't want to push him away. He promised that he would keep Henry safe and she trusted him to do that. She closed her eyes, savoring that warmth and closeness of him. 

"I'm sorry." She shook her head. "I shouldn't be crying in your arms. It's wrong. Please forgive me."

"I don't think it's wrong."

Isabel looked up. Lord Goodwin's expression was making it hard to tell her what he was feeling.

Slowly, he reached his hand towards her face. Her heart stuttered as he placed his palm gently against her cheek. "I'll miss you," he whispered. 

Her skin tingled. Before she could stop herself, she reached out and touched Lord Goodwin's cheek with her fingertips.

Immediately, she moved her hand. Now what did she do? What did this mean? They both sat calmly, but she saw something in his eyes that told her he was controlling himself. No, she was imagining things. Her lord would never think about... what she was thinking about. He would never think about kissing her.

Lord Goodwin closed his eyes, breaking the connection. He slowly stood to his feet. 

Isabel also stood up. "I have to go. Miss Elizabeth-"

He nodded without looking at her. "Yes, go. Don't worry. I won't tell anyone unless I know I can keep both you and Henry safe.

"Thank you." She turned and walked away.

He was sending her away to a different village. She would be away from the jury, away from Sir Neville's questions, and away from Lord Goodwin and the feelings he made her feel.

She couldn't get to Rosings too soon.

As Isabel walked on the dirt road, a heaviness filled her chest. I didn't mean to betray Henry. And as for lord Goodwin, I shouldn't be feeling this way. Soon I'll be at Rosings and away from these strange feelings.

"Isabel!"

She stopped suddenly. Henry stood a foot away. She was so deep in her thoughts that she didn't realize that she came so close to smacking headfirst into her friends. 

"You didn't even see me."

"I was thinking, not watching where I was going. I'm sorry. How are you?" What would Henry say to her if he knew she betrayed him?

"I'm doing good. How about you?"

"I'm fine." What would he think when she went away to Rosings in few days? She couldn't tell him. Lord Goodwin told her not to tell anyone and she couldn't betray two people in one day. She would just leave him a note.

"I heard that the bailiff's condition hasn't changed. He's still asleep."

Isabel nodded. "No one knows if he will ever recover." Should she tell him that Sir Neville questioned her? 

"I try not to think about it, but I dream about it every night." That was when she noticed the dark circles under his eyes.

"Henry, please don't worry about it so much. I think everything will be okay." After all, Lord Goodwin promised to protect us.

"I know it was the bailiff's fault for hurting you, but I don't want him to die." When Isabel didn't reply, he changed the subject. "How are you doing with Lord Goodwin? I heard he has a terrible temper."

"He doesn't." Henry gave her a confused look. "I mean, sometimes he can be a bit harsh, but I can't imagine he would ever hurt anyone." She thought about how kind he was to her, how gentle he was, how he comforted her... Stop thinking about that, Isabel!

"You like him, don't you?" A look of surprise came over Henry's face.

"W-what? Like him? What do you mean?" She shut her mouth shut. She was protesting too much. She felt herself blushing.

A smile came over Henry's face. "I've been wondering if you would ever like someone. Now I see-"

"You don't see anything. I'm just a servant."

"Sure I don't." He gave her a wink.

Isabel opened her mouth to say something, but no words came out.

"I met a girl named Naomi," Henry said with a shy smile. "She's from Margate. Do you know her?"

"Oh yes, she seems like a nice person."

"She is nice." Henry started to blush.

"Henry?! Do you like this girl?"

"Shh!"

Isabel looked around and saw a woman coming down the road towards them. Isabel turned back to Henry. "We'll talk later, but trust me, everything is going to turn out fine." She gave him a quick hug and continued walking back to the house.