Chapter 2

Isabel passed quickly through the main road of the village, which was also nearly deserted. She turned down the lane that led to the manor house. The upper floor was one big room where the trials would be held in bad weather, but today, as the weather was fine, the trail would be held outside in the courtyard.

She walked to the edge of the crowd and saw two men who looked like they were in charge of the meeting. The clerk, who was busy writing something, and another man, who Isabel guesses to be the lord's new steward.

When the clerk finished writing, he stood up and said, "The steward of Lord John Goodwin accuses Margaret Smith and her three grown children, Thomas, Adam, and Isabel Smith, of avoiding all their required fieldwork and harvest work for the past three years.

Isabel felt her face grow hot as she kept her eyes focused on the jury members. She felt as if everyone was staring at her.

Mother came forward and stood in front of the entire group of villagers. The steward called the lawmaker forward to attest that the accusation was true. The lawmaker confirmed the accusation and Mother didn't deny it. The jury talked for a couple of moments and whispered their decision to the clerk. "The jurors find the Smiths are all equally guilty and therefore must pay five dollars per person, totaling to twenty dollars."

The entire crowd gasped. Isabel felt sick. She had never heard of a fine anywhere near that amount. It was going to be impossible to pay it.

"Margaret Smith, are you or your children able to pay this fine?"

"No, sir."'

"Jury, the Smiths are not able to pay their fine. What will be their alternative penalty?"

The jury huddled together. Isabel watched them, unable to walk away until she learned her family's fate. Finally, the jury's leader broke away from the other eleven and stepped forward. "Sir, the jury agrees that Margaret Smith will send one of her grown children to work as Lord Goodwin's servant for the next three years, doing whatever tasks the lord deems fitting, while Margaret and her two other children do their share of harvest work. If they are unwilling, they will forfeit their home and property to Lord Goodwin."

Isabel backed away as murmurs of approval rose from the circle of villagers. She started heading to the butcher's shop.

Her face still burned from her family's public humiliation as she walked back into the village. A few more steps and then she'll be in the butcher's shop.

"Isabel? Is that you?"

She recognized Johanna's voice and groaned. It would be impolite to ignore her, so she forced a smile. "Good morning, Johanna."

Johanna caught Isabel by the arm and leaned close.

"Have you heard the news?" Johanna placed a hand on her slightly protruding belly. "I'll be a mother by the end of spring!" She giggled and then stopped and clamped her hand over her mouth while her face turned gray. 

"Are you unwell?" Isabel stepped back, afraid Johanna would heave her breakfast all over her shoes.

Johanna took a couple of deep breaths and then smiled. "That was nearly the third time today. But, all is well with me, I'm worried for you."

"Oh, I'm well. I'm on my way to the butcher's and must hurry-"

"Everyone says your mother and brothers played our lord wrong. Some say you'll all be kicked out of your home. Some say your mother will be put in jail or worse. Where will you go? Do you have any other family who could take you in?" She put one hand on her hip while her eyes grew wide with a new idea. "You should marry. I hear Bailiff Richard is looking for a wife."