5. Let's Switch It Around!

Sawamura Esumi observed the raven haired freshman, Furuya Satoru, a promising pitcher. His skills were honed better than Eijun, she'd admit. Watching him in the ball pen had made Esumi want to strike that ball home. She was amazed. "Gah! I can't be like this! I need to practice so I can be the ace!" Esumi heard her brother yell frustratedly. Esumi turned to see her brother struggling to pull along three tired. Haruno was there too, amazed by her brother's determination.

"Ne, Ei-nii. Be careful. You can get a hernia." Esumi frowned and warned her twin. Eijun flashed his sister a grin, running off. "Hah, you're an idiot, Ei-nii." Esumi shook her head.

"It kinda seems like he's already become...the ace of tiremen?" Haruno stared blankly. Esumi glanced at her friend, then began to laugh. The young Sawamura tried to cover it up by holding her hand over her mouth. Haruno blushed. "B-be quiet Esumi-chan!" The freshman manager yelled to cover her embarrassment. Esumi continued to laugh though. So, Haruno playfully smacked the female player's right arm.

"Owww, Haru-chan.." Esumi whined a bit. Haruno laughed.

"That's what you get for laughing at me!" Haruno pouted. The two girls smiled at each other.

~__!__~

The members were now inside the cafeteria, eating their meals. Esumi sat beside her twin, quietly eating. Eijun stuffed his face, having just sat back down from getting his second helping of rice. A shadow appeared over the twins, not that either paid any mind to it. "What's with you? You're eating a ton!" Miyuki's voice cut in. The catcher sat to Eijun's left, as the freshman continued to eat. "You were puking all over the place on your first day." Miyuki laughed.

"Shut up!" Eijun yelled with his face red. A moment of silence passed, until Eijun spoke up. "Everyone's pretty quiet. Did something happen?" He asked Miyuki.

"You haven't heard? The first years are going to have a game against the second and third years tomorrow." Miyuki explained, taking the older Sawamura by surprise. "Basically, the first year students are supposed to focus on just building up their strength so...they're not really promoted to the regular team. But with this game, things are going to change."

"I NEVER HEARD ANYTHING ABOUT THAT!!!WHAT ABOUT ME, DO I GET TO PLAY!?" Eijun stood up, yelling at Miyuki's face with anger and determination. "DO I!?" He lifted Miyuki by the collar. Esumi stood, placing her hand on her twin's shoulder.

"I'm just a student, not the coach.." Miyuki replied, silently asking to be put down.

"Hey, is it okay that I sit here?" Furuya questioned. Before anyone could reply, the other pitcher squeezed himself in between Eijun and Miyuki. Eijun was pushed out of his seat.

"Why are you sitting here? There's space over there!" Eijun yelled in his usually annoyed tone. Esumi blinked, silently observing. She may have admired the boy's pitching, but he sure was rude to her brother. And Esumi didn't like that.

"Miyuki...I don't feel like anyone here will be able to hit my pitches tomorrow. If I'm right, you'll be my catcher?" Furuya asked, unaware to the glares around him. Esumi frowned.

'I bet I can hit a home off you..' Esumi thought, feeling the sudden need to knock Furuya from his high pedestal. The nonregular baseball players stood and circled Furuya, trying to pick a fight.

"Enough with all the bull! We'll work this out through baseball." Tanba spoke up. Everyone turned to him, including Furuya. Furuya glared a bit. Tanba stared back. It was a very intense stare down..

~__!__~

The following day was the day when the freshman would face the upperclassmen. The first years sat nervously in their dugout, observing the crowds. Esumi sat in the back reading her book. She was now on the third book of her series. She flipped a page, listening to the fellow first years talk.