Prologue

"You must take him," the young woman insisted. "You cannot begin to understand."

The woman tried to thrust the bundle into the matron's arms.

"But, dear," the matron said, resisting. "He is yours. Why, doesn't every mother desire a son?"

"My family will not approve."

"Oh, dear is that the problem? I'm sure your family would understand if you only explained..."

"No. What you are thinking of is not the problem. I have been away from my family for roughly eighteen months. I was involved with his father, but my family knows nothing of it and if bring the child home with me, they will cast me out and I will never be allowed back. Please take him. I truly want him, but I cannot take him. I am protecting the safety of both myself and the child."

"What happened to the boy's father?"

"Ah. Well, I'd like to believe he is dead as that softens the pain somewhat, but I have not seen him for about two months. I think he feared being a father and simply ran. I awoke one morning and he was not beside me."

"Your story is like so many other young women who have passed through here. But most took their children. If your family never knew you were with child then why not just take him home and say he was a child you found."

"Again it is far more complicated than that. I can't take the boy with me. Keep him here. He may have a part to play in the future of our kingdom and I cannot risk his safety so soon after his birth. Keep him here and keep him safe and I will be indebted to you."

The matron then relented and agreed to keep the boy.

"But you must make sure he is apprenticed to the guards when he is ten."

"Why?"

"I'm not sure," the woman admitted. "Let's just say I was told it was essential to the future of the land."

The matron agreed and left the room to give the woman and her baby a chance to say goodbye.

"Oh, my sweet," the woman said and hugged the little boy to her chest.

He had been born only two days before, but his head was already covered in thick curls so black they almost looked purple. That was his father's hair. True, hers too was black and curled, but her hair had been blond as a child and had darkened over time. The boy lay back in his mother's arms and looked up at her. He had her eyes, skin, and many other features. But that little tilting mouth was his father's. He was such a handsome boy.

"Oh, my son," she cooed. "You are a prince you know. I don't care how many other, full-breed children I have. You will always be able to claim your title. I would have called you Prince Aster. Such a handsome boy you are, my darling. Come visit me someday, will you?" Laying the little boy in the crib in the room, the young woman turned to the window, tears falling rapidly, and opened it.

"Goodbye my boy. Do come find me. I will always remember you are out there. Goodbye." And with that she slid out the window into the night, and just like that, the young princess of the elves disappeared.