Off to Church!

Another five years have passed in relative peace

Another five years have passed in relative peace. I grew up as I had been doing, with Gale and Linfa, learning more about plants and medicine, and also about reading and writing too. Gale had a working knowledge of the Common language when it came to reading and writing, as well as a solid grasp on basic math, but most of my at home studies were taught by Linfa. Gale would say that Linfa was the brains of their family while she was the muscle. It was accurate, even if it sounded ironic coming from a woman smaller than some dogs I have seen. But small or not, my human Momma was a force to be reckoned with, even with her bum knee.

In fact, along with my scholarly studies and linguistic endeavors, I also started taking survival lessons from Gale when I was about seven. I can't say I enjoyed skinning monsters and deboning fish but I was grateful for the knowledge. After all, this was a dangerous world of monsters and magic. i may be living a modest but comfortable life now, but that could change at any moment. We did live next to a rather dangerous forest after all.

But all that being said, i was actually learning quite a lot. In fact, my parents often marveled at just how well I was able to pick up on things. Of course, they didn't know that I was actually a forty year old woman in a ten-year-old's body. But, that may explain why I picked up on language and math pretty well. I mean, even advanced types of math in this world was taught to elementary school students in my old world. And What would have been high school learning in math's and science on Earth would be something a person here would have to go to university for. And in this world, school was mostly a privilege reserved for the noble class who could afford such learning.

I was very fortunate to have such smart and worldly parents. Apparently I had more schooling than most grown adults at this point, as well as a fluent grasp on both common and Elvish languages. It was pretty amazing when I stopped to think about it. And, apparently being able to speak flaunt Elvish was pretty rare outside of the actual race. Linfa told me that it was very hard for other races to learn the spoken word, even for those who could read and write it perfectly.

On top of spending the last five ears hitting the books, so to speak, I had also taken to asking all sorts of questions about the world. my poor mothers couldn't keep up with my curiosity, though they told me everything they knew how to answer.

Currently I was humming happily, walking along side Linfa and Gale, as we made our way toward the church. It was finally time to get baptized! Finally I would be able to use magic myself! This was shaping up to be the best birthday yet and I could hardly wait. I was dressed in my nicest dress and my hair was done up with bows. Even Linfa and Gale wore their finest cloths. Not so much because we were going to church, but just because it was a big day and it was nice to make it special.

We drew gazes as we made our way down the cobbled streets of Grier's Rest, as we usually did when we were in town. As usual, it didn't bother me in the slightest. Let them stare, they just couldn't comprehend how amazing my mothers were, and were stupidly fascinated just because I had ginger hair. People needed to get a life.