Long nights and sinking stars

Start from the beginning

Aizawa, taking pity on the kid's stunned expression, chimed in softly. "He's right, you should be resting. Are you hungry? It's a little late for dinner, but I could make you something light to eat."

"No, thank you, sir, I'm okay."

Running a hand through his hair, Aizawa tried his best not to sigh out loud once more. He didn't want to make the kid feel worse but still... "What did I tell you about calling me sir?"

"Yeah, yeah! You can't keep calling us that!" and as he saw Izuku's mouth open to utter their hero names, he hurried to continue. "And don't even try to call us by our code names!"

"Kid, When we're at home, call me Aizawa."

"And of course, you can call me Yamada!"

Recognizing a direct order when handed out to him, he amended his earlier statement. "Thank you, Aizawa-san, Yamada-san, however, I am sufficiently sated at the moment." Both adults felt once again caught off guard by the boy's choice of language and words. One would think he was giving a report to a government official if they didn't know better. Sharing a discrete bewildered glance, they did their best to move on with the interaction.

"Sure, kid..." Aizawa muttered, sinking more into his drink.

"If you change your mind, you're welcome to anything in the fridge or in any of these pantries right here." Yamada gestured to the shelves and cabinets in question, satisfied with the nod he got in response.

The silence settled around them once more, an awkward lilt increasing the longer it stretched.

"Why don't you sit down with us, little listener, aren't you uncomfortable standing over there?" Aizawa could imagine the comically exaggerated bead of sweat falling off of his husband's forehead as he tried to fill in the silence. He never could stand awkward interactions. If anything, he was at least thankful for the man taking over the lead.

"No, thank you, Yamada-san."

"A-ah, well," The hero fumbled, not having expected the blunt refusal. "If you're sure, I guess..." He chuckled nervously, shooting Aizawa a glance, almost as if to urge him to join in on the conversation, or what little of it there was.

"Then why don't you turn in for the night, kid, it's pretty late and Recovery Girl advised you to get as much rest as possible. We'll talk more in the morning."

"Yes, Si- A-Aizawa-san." And with that, he turned on his heels and marched into the corridor once more.

Straining to hear the soft click of the guestroom door, he finally let himself relax, watching as Hizashi's shoulders seemed to drop some of their tension too. "He's really something else..." Hizashi whispered, his bravado having dwindled the longer he interacted with the tense teenager.

"His behavior sure isn't your typical teenage response, that's for sure," Aizawa mumbled in agreement, frowning at his now empty cup, knowing his husband wouldn't let him get another one anytime soon.

"Do you think his father has anything to do with it?"

"We won't know until we meet him, or at least look into him further." Humming in agreement, they collectively decided to call it a night too.

"Guess so... You should get some sleep too, though."

"Yeah, yeah, I know." He relented, feeling warm despite his exasperation. Rounding the corner to their room, they stopped as they heard a soft voice speak through the closed door.

Hizashi gestured for him to stay quiet, inching a little close to listen.

"No, sir." They could hear, the sound slightly muffled through the barrier. "It was a momentary oversight, sir."