Crimson

The crowd roars, a distant, would be deafening sound if it weren't for the double-sealed glass currently separating Aizawa and Yamada from the rest of the world.

The sports festival was always rowdy and crowded. The whole country likes to come and look at their new aspiring heroes. However, after the USJ incident, everyone was clamoring to meet the infamous class 1-A.

The first years had, after all, faced hundreds of villains and came out on top. Still, it was highly illogical to get this excited about life-threatening events. Especially one where kids were involved.

The chaos alone would've been enough to completely ruin Shouta's mood. Add the annoyingly uncooperative parent they were currently talking to, and you get a perfect summary of why Aizawa became an underground hero in the first place. Dealing with civilians was just too tiring and troublesome.

"Sir, I understand completely, but is there really no way for us to speak directly to Akatani-kun?" Yamada was saying, his voice getting lower and lower. A sure sign of his growing frustration.

On the other end of the line, in a dark, lavish office, sat a regal man. His posture spoke of power and indisputable authority. The Dragon's expression revealed nothing. Eyes hard and features closed off as he looked at a monitor on the desk in front of him. "You may not, as I've already told you, Mikumo has been through a terrible ordeal. He needs his rest. Now, if you'll excuse me, I am extremely busy." Not even waiting for a response, the general pressed the red button on the telephone device resting beside him. Effectively ending the meaningless call.

On the small computer monitor before him, he watched with a steely, cold gaze as the assigned soldier aided Arctic in getting ready. The modified mobile suit looked truly impressive on the young boy. The matted dark color betrayed no insight into its constitution. Hiding from the untrained eye just how resilient and resistant it was.

Nodding his head in quiet approval, he turned the screen off. It seemed Arctic was ready for his next mission. One that would determine whether or not he was fit to proceed with his next task at UA.

Back at the commentary station, the two teachers shared a look. They were worried about the student, their instincts were telling them that there was something just not right about the situation.

_____________________________

Shinsou's nerves were definitely fraying. Blood pumped through his veins with vigor, a clear indication of his rising nervousness. His future depended on his ability to get through this and come out as a victor. He wanted, no, needed to win if he ever hoped to join the hero course. This was his only chance.

Looking to the empty space to his left, he wondered if it would've been easier to have a friend by his side. Help and support were something he never hoped he could have.

Not that Akatani was his friend. They had barely spoken outside of a couple of stinted, awkward conversations. That didn't make them friends. Friends didn't disappear without a warning.

Or at least, that's what he told himself, trying his hardest to quell his mounting worry.

Steeling himself for what was to come, he stepped into the arena.

______________________________________

The gear he was wearing felt restricting. It wasn't tight, in fact, it fit him perfectly. It had been made for him, after all. However, that knowledge only serves to make it feel that more constricting. It felt as though the air whirling through his lungs was made of lead. Heavy and dense, preventing his chest from expanding with the effort to just breathe.