33 - Decision

My eyes lazily opened to darkness. When I looked ahead of me, I saw two doors and, in the center, a Shadow. It was almost like mist, but I knew it was alive. It's head turned with my movements, watching. I walked up to it, not feeling the least bit of fear.

I stuck my hand through its stomach, yet it didn't flinch.

"Akira," it said, simply. "Welcome to limbo."

"Limbo? I died?!"

"Incorrect. You are here to make a choice."

I watched it, waiting for it to continue.

"Behind the this door," it said, pointing to a black door, "is peace and rest. There is no worry and no problems. You shall never feel pain, nor worry, nor heartbreak. Behind this door is everything your heart desires."

The door opened, revealing my mother and father, waving at me. They both had smiles on their faces.

"Behind this door," it said, pointing to the door that was painfully destroyed and splintered, "is war and pain. There is suffering and hurt. You will be broken, and sometimes alone. You will be afraid and worried."

This door creaked open, revealing myself, laying in a bed of white sheets.
My face was pale and my expression was blank. On my right, my wing was wrapped up. All around me, there were injured Angels and Demons, even some humans. Holding my hand, was Peter. His eyes were swollen and sleep deprived. Jessica came up behind him and handed him a cup. He didn't move, just laid his head on my bed and watched my seemingly lifeless body.

I looked back to the door with my parents. They seems happy and expectant. I took a step closer. Their faces seemed to light up; they opened their arms to me.

"Mama," I said, "Papa..."

I took another step closer. I could feel my body relax as light radiated from the door.

"I love you both, and nothing would make me happier than to see you two again."

They smiled and I took another step.

"But, I'm sorry, I don't belong with you. Not yet. I have things to accomplish and people who're waiting for me. I can't give up yet. I have a whole world waiting for me to lead them to peace."

I took another step closer. They smiled at me, understanding in their eyes.

"Someday," I said, taking ahold of the door, "but not today."

I closed the door and walked back. When I looked over my shoulder, the door was gone.

"Akira," the shadow said, "you have made your choice."

I nodded, smiling. I didn't hesitate now. I walked with pride and bravery that I'd never felt before. I'd be back here, but not anytime soon. I walked through the door and was surrounded by a fiery light that burned me.

Still, I didn't turn back. I walked through the pain, not giving it the pleasure of my sorrow. And it vanished. I kept walking. This was my world, and I'd take it the way it was. It may not be perfect, but it's mine, and I'm too stubborn to give it up yet.

As I walked, I came to a cliff. I turned to my right wing and tested it, it still wouldn't move. Oh well. I jumped and I fell. Still, I wasn't afraid.

I blinked, and I was looking back at a ceiling. It was white and rimmed with gold. I looked to my right. My wing lay flat against white sheets. When I tried to move it, it twitched, but that was it.

The feeling in my body started to come back and I felt something warm on my left hand. Again, I turned my head. Peter was there, face flat on the bed, asleep. Slowly and painfully, I lifted my hand from his and set it on top of his head. He groaned and looked up at me. I smiled at him. His expression remained blank for a few seconds and then tears filled his eyes.

He stood up and wrapped his arms around my shoulders.

"I thought you were gonna die."

"Just who the hell do you think I am? I'm to stubborn, even for death."

I hugged him back. When he let go, I sat up. His hand remained in my back, supporting me.

"What happened?" I asked.

"When I found you, you were bleeding out and we couldn't stop it. It took a while, longer than it should have, but we found someone to help after everything calmed down. Oh, right!"

His free hand went to my stomach and I followed, finding something sitting there. With one hand, Peter lifted the object onto my head. The crown, my crown. He smiled for a second, and then went back to explaining.

"You were out for a week. Some big stuff happened."

"Like what?"

"Well, Lucifer led all of the others to reclaim Hell and he did. I've been taking care of a lot of things for you, you know, I think you owe me."

Smiling, I gave him a quick kiss on the lips.

"Debt repaid."

"It's gonna take a lot more than that."

"We have a lot of time to worry about that."