10 - Night Flight

Zero's feet pounded against the ground as he ran. I could feel his muscles moving beneath his thick black fur. In my hand, I held a single blue stone. The magic shined through brightly making it look as though it was glowing. I held it tighter.

Mama distracted the humans while we ran; Papa was already...No! I had to be strong, I had to-

I gasped as I woke up. Everyone else was still asleep, thank hell for that.

"You okay?" Zero asked, proving me wrong. "Was it that dream again?"

"Yeah, yeah. I'm fine."

"You wanna go for a..."

"Yeah."

I turned over, looking out the window and nearly dying. A figure was in the window, a human like figure, but it was only a tree.

"Thank you, Mother Nature, for cooperating with my nightmare and growing the worlds scariest freaking tree right outside my window!"

Zero laughed at me as we snuck out I left a note, though, just in case I was gone longer than expected.

The first story was empty, now, so I didn't have to squeeze past ass grabbing drunks. When we reached outside, I got on Zero's back and he ran full speed. He was ten times faster than any Earthly horse, so we were a good distance away within ten minutes. We found a nice clearing and I stepped off.

Closing my eyes, I focused on the dark magic that was flowing through my back. When I released my breath, the magic released as well. The color drained from my tattoos so that it was only an outline; like an empty container. Which it was, in reality.

I stretched my night black wings out. My wingspan was about fifteen to sixteen feet and they dragged on the ground when I walked. Good thing I wasn't walking. I bent my knees, jumped, and then I flew. Just as the air began to thin too much, even for my advanced lungs, I tightened my wings against my body and dive bombed towards the ground. As my body neared the ground, I opened my wings, catching myself, and flew straight, evening myself a foot above the tallest tree. In the distance, I saw a little lake. Yep, no matter how cliché, I'm still gonna do it.

I lowered my altitude slowly and ran my hand against the surface of the water. Then, again, I flapped my wings, denting the surface of the water and shooting back up. I twisted and turned, shooting through the air and falling back down.

Something shot passed my ear. When I turned, I saw a female Demon smiling at me. Then, she flew off, challenging me.

A smile formed on my lips, a lions smile. I loved this prideful side of myself. It let me have fun.

I chased her, flying in the direction she went, and then passed her, leaving her in my current. When I saw that she'd stopped, I'd turned back to meet her. The girl was about sixteen with short curled hair. Her wingspan was decent, for her size, twelve or thirteen feet.

When I came over to her, she gave me a slight bow and we landed.

"It's a pleasure," she said. "My name's Chizu, and I know who you are, of course. Actually, I just wanted to drop by and confirm that it was actually you. You know, the whole, most of the world thinks your dead, thing. Actually, if it weren't for your wings, I probably wouldn't have believed you. I've been fighting for you, actually. Well, it was nice meeting you, by-"

"Hold on," I said, laughing. She talked so fast that I almost didn't get a chance to answer.

She looked back at me, a happy, overexcited little smile on her lips.

"Take this," I said, plucking a wing from my feather. Her eyes widened in shock.

"You wan to form a contract, with me?" 

Let me explain; a contract is, in the Supernatural World, an agreement for a lesser Demon or Angel to work for a higher Demon or Angel. Usually, the higher Demon or, you get the point, would give the lesser Demon a part of themselves, hair, a drop of blood, or a feather, in my case.

I nodded, holding out the feather to her. She took it with a trembling hand and quickly flew away.

Now, I know what your thinking. 'How could you do that with a total stranger?'

Well, contracts were also a good way of keeping an eye on others. I wanted to know what was going on with my species so I pass them out every once and a while. I couldn't in that Angel infested town because it was too dangerous with my human allies around.

With a flap of my wings, I was back up, flying through the air. I found Zero and landed. Concentrating, once again, I filled my tattoos with the magic of my wings; part of me felt empty at their loss.

I mounted Zero and, within ten minutes, I was back at the inn. To my surprise, Peter was waiting outside, leaning against the wall.

"Did something happen?" I asked.

"No, just waiting up for you."

"I left a note."

"Your note said, 'I'll be back.'"

"I never said it was a good note."

He sighed and looked back up to me.

"If anything's bothering you, you know you can tell me, right?"

He looked at me so sincerely, like he actually meant it. No ones ever looked at me like that, I was slightly...touched. Not that I'd ever tell anyone that.

"I'll remember that," I said, heading back inside.

Zero and I crept up to our room and quietly fell in our bed. And, not so quietly, we fell back asleep.

Not, however, without having the shit scared out of me by that horribly coordinated tree. Damn you Mother Nature, damn you.