8 - I'm So Awesome

Hey guys, before we start the story, I wanna dedicate this chapter to @Underestimated_love. Thanks for the support!

The ground was splotched with the blood and festering bodies of both humans and Demons. A foul scent infested the air around is. Pulling the collar of my shirt over my nose, I went to inspect.

I crouched down in front of the first Demon, a female with a severed wing and a large gash across her back. She was laying face down into the dirt. I moved her black hair and tugged at the edge of her bat like wing. When that didn't work, I took out mud word and cut off her last wing, a precautionary measure. A wingless Demon could be worse than a wingless Angel.

The others were watching closely, standing behind me with looks of amazement.

I ran may hand against the gash, smearing the blood. I lifted my bloodied hand to my nose and sniffed. It was sweet.

"Angel's blood," I announced.

"What does that mean?" James asked.

"It means that whoever killed them wanted too," Peter answered for me.

"There's one thing that confuses me," I said, still examining the wound. "Angel's blood couldn't kill a Demon. At worst it'd give them a burning feeling, like fire on the point of impact, but it couldn't kill them. She could've bled out, but that would've taken a considerable amount of time."

Grabbing onto her arm, I flipped her body over.

"Well, that explains it." I said, staring at slit across her neck. "If I had to guess, I'd say whoever attacked her slashed her across her back, knocking her down, and then slit her throat, for good measure, of course."

"Of course," Luke mimicked. Asshole.

I stood up, wiping my bloodied hand on the dead demons clothes, the only place that wasn't bloodied, and made my way over to a human male who had died close by.

This time, I inspected both sides before wiping my hand against a gash in the side of his head. It gave off the normal metallic scent, no strange scents or anything.

"What do you think happened?" Peter asked me.

"My best guess would be; the humans are hunters, Demons specifically, and they found these Demons walking down the path. The humans attack and the Demons fight back. It's hard to tell which side won based off this, but some could've fled or left afterwards. So, there are either Demons or Demon hunters walking around these woods, and we should be careful."

"What should we do with the bodies?" Jessica asked. "And why the hell are you such a good detective?"

"Eh, leave 'em. Something, or someone, will do something about them. As for their stuff, I vote we loot the bodies. It's not like their gonna need them anyway."

"Isn't that stealing?" James asked.

"It's inly stealing if someone had the intentions of using them, and unless these bodies are planning on getting up anytime soon, I think we're good."

"Take what you want," Peter said to me. "I'm not going to be a part of it."

"What?" I teased. "Afraid of a little haunting?"

"I just have respect for the dead."

"So do I. I'm respecting the dead by putting their belongings to use. If I died, I sure as hell wouldn't want my belongings to go to waste. A sword's meant to be swung. Whatever I don't need, I'll sell and buy food with."

"And it all goes back to food," Luke said, smiling.

Laughing, I dug through their belongings. In total, there were nineteen bodies, seven Demons and twelve humans. Each human carried a small bottle of Angel blood, which I took all of, a bag of money, which I took all of, a weapon of some sort, which I took all of, and a few extra knickknacks, which I, also, took all of. The Demons carried similar possessions, minus Angel blood. I took all of their stuff too.

"Ready?" Zero grumbled.

"Yep," I replied, dropping a pile of weapons in the back.

The others squeezed in, so I decided I'd keep most of the weapons in my lap. As we moved, I went through the weapons; checking blades, the flexibility of bows, and so on. Only three of the weapons were unusable. Two of my five bows, and one of my fourteen swords. They really wore their weapons down. That battle was either quicker than I though, or mug longer.

"Why're you so good at inspecting bodies?" James finally asked, snapping me out of my trance.

"I've seen a lot of deaths," was my simple answer.

"So have I," Peter replied, bitterly, might I add. "That doesn't mean I can tell what happened."

"Alright, you want the real answer?" I looked up from my work, which, may I add, I was rudely interrupted from. "I've killed a lot of people, not just Demons or Angels, I've killed humans in lots of ways. Poison, swords, bows and arrows, you name it. It's not something in proud of, but when you need to survive, this is what you do."

After that, it was silence as I went back to my work. All of the "stolen" weapons had already been inspected, and now I looked at my own. Over the years, the blade had dulled down considerably, to a point where sharpening it wouldn't help. So, I decided to sell mine, plus the other, and use the money, or part of the money, to buy a new one.

I started dozing about the types of weapons I could buy. Originally, I had a beautiful rapier that I may or may not have stolen from a former "ally" after I abandoned him on a battle field. Maybe I'd get daggers or even a crossbow. Nah, no crossbow, I like close combat. What about a beautiful cutlass? That could be nice.

"Your drooling."

Peter was looking at me, smiling. I whipped my mouth, damn I was.

"There's a town up ahead," Zero reported. I stood up, peeking through the front of the cart. The town was small, but not infested with supernatural creatures, so I was happy.

I sat back down as we rode into town. Only, a thought entered the back of my mind. What had happened to the Demons or humans who survived the fight?