Chapter Seventeen

Začít od začátku

"Well, it was nice meeting you. And again, my apologies for being such a clumsy fool."

"You're forgiven."

"That's good."

Another pause ensues, and this time, the ending can be felt hanging in the air.

"Well, I'd best be off then." He begrudgingly turns, and starts back off to his horse.

Aurora opens her mouth to say something, but can think of nothing else, nor can she find the courage to say anything. She follows him, not wanting to let him out of her sight just yet, and she finally finds a question as he grabs the reins of his horse.

"Will you be back this way?"

"Nothing could stop me."

"Then I'll see you soon."

"Very soon."

"Goodbye, Philip."

"Goodbye, for now."

Maleficent and Y/N, along with Diaval watch from a distance. Diaval is cawing so loud, trying to get Maleficent to turn him back into a human. He has a point to make.

"Stop doing that." He doesn't give up, and flies into his master's face, determined to get his say.

Maleficent raises his hand, and waves his magic. Diaval stumbles from the abruptness of it, but wastes no time in telling him the solution that is right in front of them.

"Well? That boy's the answer." He nods to Philip as he rides away, on his way to the castle.

Y/N, just behind Diaval and Maleficent, smiles. She also feels this way. This could be the thing they have been searching for this entire time. Well, ever since Maleficent has had his change of heart anyway.

It could be the key. He wakes up Aurora, and everyone is happy. An explanation to Aurora, and she forgives them, hopefully. Everything can still be happy, and-

Maleficent laughs, and the smile slips from her face.

"No, Diaval."

"Yes! True Love's kiss, remember? It can break the spell." He continues to insist that this is the right way to go, but Maleficent just shakes his head.

"True Love's kiss? Have you not worked it out yet?"

Diaval shakes his head in response, his eyebrows furrowed. He looks over to Y/N, who has her head bowed, but not enough for him not to see the sadness in her eyes. This was hurting her.

"I cursed her that way because there is no such thing."

"Well, that might be how you feel, but what about Aurora?"

Y/N looks up at Diaval, seeing his point, and hoping that Maleficent can see this. There was still a chance to save Aurora.

"That boy could be her only chance. It's her fate anyway."

Maleficent looks at Diaval, slight anger in his eyes. He raises his hand, ready to transform him back into an animal, any animal.

"Go ahead. Turn me into whatever you want. A bird, a worm. I don't care anymore."

With that he turns around and leaves, taking the long way back to the castle. He usually flies, but maybe the walk would do him some good. It'll clear his mind.

Y/N also starts walking, but in the opposite direction. She needed some space. It was a lot to be told that True Love didn't exist by your best friend. Even if it was because he wasn't in love with her, didn't he think that their friendship was stronger than that?

There was also the matter of Aurora. It was finally getting to her. She felt so guilty, and she didn't know how else to deal with it. She was starting to cry, and she wasn't about to let Maleficent see that.

"And where are you going?"

"I'm going for a walk." She answered him without looking back, not expecting him to follow her. But he did.

"What for?" The condensation in his voice was only because he was mad. She knew that. But it still stung. Did her feelings just not matter to him?

"I just need some time to think, alright?"

"Are you crying?"

She stopped, and looked over at him, the tears evident on her face. He was confused, because he didn't know what was going on with her right now.

They had more important things to worry about than some boy who wasn't the answer. So why was she crying?

"It just sucks OK? Being told that True Love doesn't exist."

"It doesn't."

"If that's what you truly think, then heaven help us all."

With that she turns, her wings dragging behind her. Flying into the sky would certainly help her feel better, but she was still determined to stick with her promise.

She would not fly. She would stand by Maleficent's side for as long as he would let her. She just needed some time alone. It hadn't been something she asked for in years, but this time, it was a must.

Seeing her walk away from him, he wondered at the people around him. When did he start thinking of Diaval as a friend? When did his opinion matter to him? Truly matter?

And when had he stopped thinking of Y/N as his best friend? When did it unknowingly become more?