She came so close to the human lands. Closer than she had ever been before. It scared her to be honest. She couldn't go past the border, but she didn't know what else to do.

That was when she saw him. Up in a tree. He looked just liked her. It was what drew her to him. The familiarity. It felt safe.

She approached him, and when he saw her, he sat up and smiled. They didn't have to use any words, they just knew that they were no longer alone in the world. It was all they needed.

That tree had become their home, and it grew with them. Whether it was their magic, or if it was as young as them, it was convenient.

They had spent years together before their lives changed the day by the Pool of Jewels.

Hearing Aurora giggle, Y/N realized she missed the time when the Moors were full of laughter and light. It was a different time. When she didn't have to worry about physical contact, because she was afraid of what others would be feeling.

More importantly, when Maleficent talked to her. When they would tell each other everything, and they would never be found without each other. They were basically attached at the hip.

If one was flying, so was the other not far behind. If one was running, it was usually from the other.

These days, she was lucky to get eye contact.

She had once loved the man behind her. She still did. But the love she had when they were children, and the similar but depper love when they were younger was gone.

It had died some odd years ago. It happens when there isn't any communication and expression in the relationship.

It was probably for the best. He had never felt that way for her. She knew that. No matter how it might have felt right before Stefana, both times, she knew the answer deep down. It was not to be.

Even if they were better people, and fixed their friendship, as well as everything around them, he was hurt.

He had been burned by love before, and there was no way she could bring that upon him again. He made it very clear what his thoughts on love were.

Other creatures slowly made their way up to Aurora, shy from the fact that Maleficent and Y/N were there, but also that there was another human in the Moors after all this time.

They did not forget what happened last time there was one here. And the consequences it brought years later.

Nevertheless, some of the more brave creatures brought her flowers. One behind the other has brought some for Y/N. She was kinder than Maleficent, and still had some courage from them to show for it.

Y/N took them with a smile, the surprise showing plain on her face. Aurora was happy to receive such a token, and was gladly smiling at the creature when a splatter of mud was thrown all over her back.

It shocked her, and she turned around to see who had done this.

Another creature, one that was deeply rooted in Y/N and Maleficent's memory, had thrown the mud. It was instinct.

He had never remembered the last time he was somewhere with such a good atmosphere, and he had wanted to do something to participate.

It had only occurred to him after that maybe he had taken it too far, but it was too late now.

Aurora only smiled and laughed, scooping up mud of her own, before she threw it back at him.

The creatures all laughed, and a big mud fight ensued, This had never happened in years. It quite shocked Maleficent how long it had been. He remembered participating in this, and having so much fun his stomach would be sore.

Based on Y/N's smile, and her small participation as well, he could see she felt the same way.

He had started to smile, when some mud from an ill aimed throw splashed onto his neck, and some even on his cheek.

The creatures instantly cowered in fear, unsure of how this would hurt them. The terror confused Aurora, but it didn't last long when everyone could still hear laughter.

Y/N, who had moved without Maleficent really noticing, was now standing next to Diaval. They were both doubling over with laughter. They couldn't help it. They were his closest friends, and were the least afraid of him.

Their laughter lasted for a few seconds before tons of mud was suddenly covering them both from head to toe. It was such a sudden change, but it ended the laughter quickly.

Maleficent lowered his hand, and a small smirk was upon his face. It was the closest he had gotten to a real smile in the Moors in years.

He would laugh from time to time when looking over Aurora when she was a child, but it never felt real. It felt like a distraction.

It covered their faces so completely that there was no telling how they reacted to being forcefully included, but there was a giant smile on Aurora's face. For some reason, it made Maleficent feel like no matter what happened, everything would be OK.

It was an absurd thing to think, but there it was.