AMERICANS: SUPERIOR IN INFORMATION/MEDIA (2) - Phạm Việt Long -20

Next, Professor Dan Martin discussed various issues related to website construction and development, with a particular focus on the planning process.

Towards the end of the class, Professor Martin Suleman made a somewhat humorous yet partly serious remark. He quipped, "If you're looking for information about a specific country, just head over to the CIA website; it's one of the most comprehensive sources out there. Right now, the CIA is actively recruiting new agents, especially those proficient in Arabic." This elicited laughter from the audience. He went on to share an anecdote about a conversation he had with a Chinese businessman who expressed concerns about a "brain drain," as qualified Chinese individuals were being attracted to the United States. One contributing factor, he suggested, was the restricted access to the internet in China, hindering progress.

I couldn't ascertain the exact source of Professor Martin Suleman's information, but as far as my knowledge goes, China has indeed developed a robust internet infrastructure. At one point, there was a surge in internet cafes and similar establishments. It's baffling to think that someone with intellectual potential would need to relocate to the United States simply due to limited internet access.

Professor Martin Suleman also made a remark about Vietnam's approach to the internet. He said, "Vietnam also perceives numerous risks associated with internet usage. I'm not discussing whether it's dangerous or not; it's about mutual understanding. Consider the downsides of not using the internet, and it's up to the Vietnamese people to decide for themselves, not for others." I greatly respect Professor Martin Suleman for his honesty and enthusiasm, but I'm troubled by the fact that he often receives incomplete information about Vietnam, a country he has visited twice. I felt compelled to explain to the professor that Vietnam acknowledges the potential dangers of inadequate internet management but fundamentally views the internet as an effective tool for development. In fact, the Vietnamese government has implemented numerous measures to foster internet growth.

During this discussion, I also shared with my American friends that, on the morning of October 12, just a few hours before boarding my flight to the United States, I participated in a Vietnam-US video conference on e-commerce. During the seminar, the Director of the World Bank in Washington highly praised the Vietnamese government for its accurate understanding of e-commerce and its proactive measures to promote it. Vietnam recognizes both the benefits and potential risks of e-commerce. Compared to the 51 countries the World Bank director has engaged with, the Vietnamese government stands out for its active promotion of e-commerce. This demonstrates that Vietnam embraces the internet, seeks to master it, and applies it to various aspects of life. My American friends were genuinely surprised by this information. Professor Suleman is right in emphasizing the importance of mutual understanding.

In summary, our discussions on the theoretical and technical aspects of information and the internet underscore the urgent need to leverage information technology. The internet plays a crucial role in cultural and artistic activities by disseminating culture and the arts to the public. Regrettably, this concept is still relatively unfamiliar to our country's art management. They do not reject it, but they lack a sufficient understanding and proficiency in utilizing it.

Conversely, Americans, including art managers, have a deep understanding of the significance of information and possess excellent skills in applying technology to disseminate information effectively. In all the working sessions from the day I arrived in the US until now, I haven't heard the Americans emphasize this concept enough: organizing information effectively to promote themselves, reach the public, advertise products, and more. Coupled with their economic strength, Americans effectively use information and communication to execute their globalization strategy. This success has enabled the United States to turn its national assets into global phenomena. A country with such capabilities naturally produces information technology leaders, and indeed, the information technology industry has its roots in America, exemplified by giants like Bing-et.