CHAPTER I: EARTH WARMING UP - Phạm Việt Long - 1

Author's Message!

Dear readers,

On this day, 22 years ago, September 11, 2001, America witnessed a horrifying event when the twin towers of the World Trade Center were attacked by two civilian planes and tragically collapsed. A month later, I had the privilege of joining a delegation from the Ministry Culture on a trip to the United States to study its culture. This book is the culmination of that journey, published in early 2002.

Now, more than two decades have passed, and the global landscape, as well as the relationship between Vietnam and the United States, has undergone significant transformations. Our nations have elevated their ties to a new level, marked by a Comprehensive Strategic Partnership for peace, cooperation, and sustainable development.

I must acknowledge that the information and assessments contained in this book, based on the time of its publication, may no longer hold true today. However, they represent authentic reflections of the era, offering historical value for reference. I encourage readers to approach this book with a discerning and historical perspective.

Thank you sincerely for choosing to explore this work.

Thank you for your reading this book! 

As we gather here today, Hanoi is in the midst of a seasonal transition

As we gather here today, Hanoi is in the midst of a seasonal transition. The cool North East winds have begun to blow, yet the Earth itself is warming. It was precisely during this time, at the dawn of the new millennium, that a seismic event shook the world. Two iconic buildings within the World Trade Center (WTC) complex in New York City, USA, were struck by two airplanes, resulting in devastating explosions and their ultimate collapse.

On the fateful night of September 11, 2001, when Hung, a student studying in Germany, called to share this shocking news, I found it difficult to believe. Perhaps it was his playful demeanor or the sheer abruptness of the information. How could one comprehend that a superpower like the United States had suffered such a profound blow? It was only when Hung, with a grave tone, mentioned that his friend in Germany had urgently rushed to a hotel to watch the satellite broadcast of the September 11th tragedy that the harsh reality began to sink in.

The following morning, headlines in newspapers across the nation, from central to local publications, prominently displayed the unfolding tragedy: "United States Under Attack: At 9 a.m. New York time, an American Airlines Boeing 767, carrying 81 passengers and 11 crew members on Flight 11, en route from Boston to Los Angeles, struck the 110-story North Tower of the World Trade Center in New York. Approximately 20 minutes later, another plane from the same airline, Flight 77, traveling from Washington, D.C. to Los Angeles with 58 passengers and 6 crew members, collided with the southern section of the same Trade Center. Initial reports indicated at least 6 fatalities and over 1,000 injuries. Shortly thereafter, a deafening explosion reverberated through the air, causing a significant portion of the towering structure to crumble. It is reported that the exact count of casualties remains unknown, but New York City's hospitals were overwhelmed. This tragedy unfolded as approximately 40,000 individuals were laboring within the World Trade Center, a location frequented daily by about 150,000 people for commerce, leisure, and business.

In a parallel series of events on September 11th, a commercial aircraft operated by United Airlines crashed into the Pentagon, resulting in at least 7 injuries and the evacuation of 24,000 Pentagon employees. United Nations staff members also evacuated their headquarters in New York City. Eyewitnesses described the sight of trucks being loaded near the White House, accompanied by plumes of smoke rising from the vicinity of the Presidential Palace. Meanwhile, at Capitol Hill, explosions disrupted the tranquility of the congressional complex. A car bomb detonated at the gate of the U.S. State Department.

President G.W. Bush somberly declared, "Today, we have experienced a national tragedy." CNN provided its commentary, stating, "From the Civil War to the present day, America once again confronts the grim reality of war."

"