Vol 3 | Chapter 5 | Family's End

Start from the beginning

Shuna nodded, "Yes, those are for a military parade. The military wanted to do so to celebrate Tanya's return. Tanya's absence will have been far shorter than Rimuru's, but the military mostly wants an excuse to show off how far they've progressed."

Another kijin girl walked up, wearing a professional purple outfit with matching colored hair and a well-endowed chest, leaning a massive blade against her shoulder as she shook her head, "I swear the military gets more prideful and patriotic every day."

Youm chuckled, shrugging his shoulders, "Is that really a problem, Shion?"

The purple-haired kijin, Shion, simply shrugged, "I suppose not, but these days it feels like they're just itching to finally put their new tech and training to use. I almost feel bad for whoever becomes their first victim."

Another Kijin walked by behind them, wearing an elaborate red outfit donned with a few military decorations, clearly defining his place within the Tempest hierarchy. As he passed by, he laughed, "If Tanya doesn't get back soon, the Military will probably find some country to invade anyway!"

Shuna looked up at Shion with slight surprise, "I expected you to be up there with the military and wanting a target to destroy."

Shion proudly placed her sword behind her back and her hands on her hips, "I am Great Rimuru's personal secretary! I cannot indulge myself in such affairs as the military. Though should anyone dare to attack Tempest, I will be on the front lines personally to crush them!"

Shuna made a light-hearted sigh before addressing Mjurran again, "Sorry about that, feel free to enjoy all Tempest has to offer, it was a pleasure to meet you."

With another polite bow Shuna turned and left, entering the large government building behind them as the other kijin went to handle their own affairs.

'Each of those Kijin are insanely powerful. Even ignoring their military strength, their government alone could topple an entire country overnight if they wanted to.'

It was no wonder that Tempest was a target. Soon it would rival even the strongest powers, and the emergence of a power capable of rivaling the Eastern Empire right in the middle of the continent where it could strike anyone at any time was easily a massive threat.

She had hoped she could at least spare Youm from the conflict that was to come, but she could not warn him, she could not warn anyone. She could not completely deny the feelings she had developed for him, but that would have to wait as she simply prayed that he would forgive her.

She had one job, after all: Aid in the destruction of the Imperial Tempest Federation.

[]-[]-[]-[]-[]-[]-[]-[]-[]

Tanya's focus all funneled into a single spot, her eyes glaring intently at her hand as slowly and meticulously a crystal formed within it. After a full minute of forming, she opened her hand and crushed it within her palm.

'Another mistake. I'll try again.'

Yet again she manifested the crystal within her hand, and again she crushed it in her palm. She continued this a few more times, sometimes crushing it almost immediately, other times crushing it once it was practically complete. After several attempts, she finally had a successful crystal.

Perfect in shape, geometry, and most importantly, internal structure. She looked down at the rifle laid out on the desk in front of her, half-constructed and still in numerous pieces. This was a newer rifle than the one she was used to using, a completely new design she had been working on for months.

She carefully placed the crystal within the firing chamber, placing it alongside the dozens of other crystals, each perfectly crafted and placed along the edge of the chamber to aid in the firing mechanisms. The crystals aided in almost every magical aspect of the rifle, from its bullet creation, firing, and enhancement to even firing beams of pure magical force.