Chapter 4: Day 1 in a new home

Several hours had passed before nightfall, Bakura and Anzu shared a large stuffed mattress on the floor of one of the rooms.

But much like the night before, Bakura struggled to sleep, nothing could calm him down as his thoughts kept racing about that horrid night.

Come the next day when everyone awoke, they went about their daily routine, but because Bakura and Anzu were still trying to settle in, their new guardians left them to explore.

Anzu remained inside, under the care of her new guardians, whereas Bakura had decided to talk around the City.
Not too long into his walk, did he arrive at a stone well.
He rested his elbows on the edge of the well and sighed.

"How could all this happen, why did it happen...just look at where I am now" he whispered.

Bakura was so full of confusion, sorrow, pain and anger; the couple who took them in were very kind and loving; but nothing would be able to replace the love of his father.

In that instant, violent memories of that night began to consume his mind once more.
The flashes of fire, the screams of the villagers and the smell of the rotting bodies wafting through the air all filled his senses.

He shuddered with despair and deeply sighed once more.

"Bakura!" shouted a voice.

Bakura was pulled from his thoughts and looked from left to right coming back into reality.
Then he saw Safiya running towards him, and for a moment all his worries and stress seemed to vanish.
He smiled and stood properly to greet her.

"Good morning" she cheerfully said with a positive smile.
"Good morning" Bakura replied politely.
"How was your evening?" she asked.
"It was fine, thank you"

For a few moments, there was silence between them.

"So, your friend is well?" Safiya asked.
"Oh Anzu, yes, the young couple are tending to her...where are your parents?" Bakura replied curiously.
"At home" she responded and smiled.

She then sat on the floor and rested her back against the stone wall.
Bakura watched her and smiled before sitting beside her.

"There you are!" someone shouted.

Safiya groaned in annoyance and rolled her eyes.

"Oh dear Gods"

Both she and Bakura looked up and saw a teenage boy with light brown hair and stunning blue eyes running towards them.
Like Asafiya, he was very well dressed and appeared to come from good breeding.

"Hello Seto" she greeted him.
"Why are you here? You know you're not allowed to leave alone!" the young boy stressed.
"Well, I'm not alone, you and Bakura are here" she cheekily responded.

Seto slapped a hand on his head and groaned.

"Please come back, or neither of us will hear the end of it" he pleaded.

Safiya knew he was right.

"Very well Seto, farewell Bakura, see you again soon" she smiled.

Bakura was confused.

"Where are you going?" he asked.
"To the Palace" she replied as she got to her feet.
"Why...?"

Safiya giggled and realised that she had not told him.

"I'm a Princess"

Saying no more, Seto hastily rushed Safiya away to the Palace, leaving Bakura surprised and even more confused.

"The Princess"

It was amazing how someone from the Royal Family had helped him and the other children.
Bakura waited all day for Safiya to come back, but he began to see she would not return...so instead, he sought to go and see her himself.

That evening once his carers and Anzu were asleep he made his way to the Palace.