Chapter 12: Aftermath

——————————🐍——————————

Natasha managed to make it on top of Stark Tower where the portal machine was. She looked at it, trying to figure out how in Earth she was going to shut that thing down.

"The scepter." A voice muttered.

Natasha turned and saw Selvig lying on the ground, watching the chaos. The blast from the machine when Tony shot it, seemed to break him out of Loki's control.

"Loki's scepter. The energy. The Tesseract can't fight, but you can't protect against yourself."

"It's not your fault, you didn't know what you were doing." Natasha reassured him.

"Actually, I think I did. I built in a safety to cut their power source." He reveled.

"Loki's scepter."

"It may be able to close the portal. And I'm looking at it right now."

...

Back at the base, Maria was looking at the screens and something caught her eye, and not in a good way.

"Sir, we have a bird in motion! Anyone in deck, we have a rogue bird! We have to shut it down!" Maria emphasized. "Repeat, takeoff is not authorized."

...

Fury ran out onto the deck holding a bazooka. He saw one of the places taking off and fired. The rocket hit the plane, preventing it from taking off.

Fury sighed in relief, but it was short lived as another plane took off from the runway as well.

Fury went back inside and got on his mic. "Stark, do you hear me? You have a missile headed straight for the city."

...

"How long?" Stark asked, as he was hit in the helmet by a Chitauri.

"Three minutes. Max. The payload will wipe out midtown."

"JARVIS, our everything we've got into the thrusters." Tony ordered.

"Already did."

Tony shot up into the air, going to intercept the missile.

...

Selvig pulled up his laptop. "Right at the crown." He instructed.

Natasha touched the scepter to the barrier around the Cube and managed to get through. "I can stop it. Does anybody copy? I can shut the portal down!"

"Do it!"

"No, wait."

"Stark, these things are still coming."

"I got a nuke coming in. It's gonna blow in less than a minute. And I know just where to put it."

"Stark, you know that's a one way trip."

...

Tony didn't respond. He flew under the missile as it was headed for the city, and used his thrusters to push it upwards. He just managed to avoid hitting Stark Tower and flew straight up through the portal.