Chapter 16 : Surprise and odd feeling

Start from the beginning

"I think I got the trick; let me try again."

"If you want." Dazai then paid the man at the stand again, who prepared to active the moving targets once more.

You were sure of yourself this time. You had observed each of Dazai's movements and breathing earlier, and thanks to your passive ability 'Fleeting Absorption,' you could grasp his technique. So, with confidence in your eyes, you told the man at the stand you were ready. When he activated the moving targets, you immediately pointed with assurance toward each target and successfully shot each one, leaving both Dazai and the man at the stand baffled. Dazai's eyes widened in surprise, impressed by your quick learning and adaptability.

"I got them all!" you said while jumping in place out of joy.

"Wow, miss, I didn't know you could learn this quickly. So what do you want?" the man asked with a smile.

"I want these, please." You pointed toward two key rings, one shaped like a cute little cat and the other resembling a cute little dog that looked like Looki.

"I didn't know you could do that, (Y/N), but it was impressive. It's as if you copied my technique," Dazai said, a playful glint in his eyes.

You responded with a sly grin, "Oh, you got me, Dazai-san. Want me to tell you the secret?"

"Oh? I'm all ears," he replied, intrigued.

"I will tell you when we have done all the attractions here!" you said with a smile as you handed him the cat keychain.

"You're really unpredictable, (Y/N)," he replied with a smile. "But why the cat for me?" Dazai asked as he examined the keychain.

You gave him a smile. "Because, since our encounter, I always thought you were like a cat: unpredictable, lazy, cunning, not listening to others, but when you decide to hunt, you always manage to catch your prey. And when the moment appeal, you don't hesitate to show your claws."

At your remark, Dazai blinked in surprise. "I didn't know you saw me that way," then, he smiled confidently at you. "You observed me well, (Y/N), but you know, I hide many more things."

"Yes, like a cat," you responded with a grin.

"Yes, you're right, like a cat," he admitted, matching your grin. "So now, what do you want to do?"

"Mmm... let's do-" As you began your sentence, you were interrupted by a voice. "(Y/N)? Dazai? What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be at the apartment resting?"

You two turned to see Ranpo eating cotton candy, with Atsushi beside him looking at you in surprise.

"Ah, that... how should I say it...." you began, feeling a bit flustered.

"Don't bother asking, Atsushi. It's the work of Dazai, isn't it?" Ranpo inquired.

"You caught me red-handed," Dazai admitted, putting his hands up.

"But I could also ask you the same question," you said, trying to defend yourself. "What are you two doing here?"

"I wanted to eat some sweets from the amusement park, and Kunikida sent Atsushi to accompany me," Ranpo explained, taking another bite of his cotton candy.

"Oh?! Where did you get it?? Do you know every spot for sweets here?" you asked excitedly as you approached Ranpo with sparkles in your eyes.

"Who do you take me for? Of course, I know them! After all, I'm the greatest detective in the world!" Ranpo replied confidently.

"Could we join you then?" you asked enthusiastically.

"Why not? Let's enjoy our moment here!" Ranpo said, turning his attention to the various sweet stands. He began to rush toward them, followed by Atsushi, who was trying to keep up with him.