We settled in a spacious room, full of furs and mostly empty baskets as a crater for a fire sat in the center. The ceilings where still only seven feet high and made the bat before me crouch down uncomfortablely. It didn't take long for a swirl of purple to light the room warrily before being plunged into darkness. I couldn't see his figure very well until the fire was lit in the creater after wood was tossed in allowing me to see a naked young man in his mid twenties. Tears at his fluffy bat ears blended into the deep brown of his fur and hair. His nose was upturned while his face remained sharp. The fire reflected in his violet eyes while a stern frown tugged at his lips. He gestures for me to sit down on one of the old furs on the floor next to the fire while sitting down across from me. He stared at me and seemed to look through my soul to determine whether or not he's going to kill me.

"So little Avery, how old are you?"

"I'm sixteen...almost seventeen." I gulped as I bowed my head. This guy was just too intense. He paused for a moment before asking another question.

"What food do you typically eat?"

"Lots of things, I eat meat like birds and mammals but I also like fish. I eat eggs as well. I'm fine with fruit and plants, I just don't eat bugs." I was like a motor mouth answering too quickly to really come up with a solid thought.

Another pause before his sits up straighter. "Well good news is we have meat left over from the skins we where preparing for tanning. It should still be fresh. We also have dried out fruits saved for the winter months."

A shadow passed by the open frame that led to the tunnel, only blocked out by a hanging fur nailed into place.

"Cadaver, you asked for me?" A warm feminine voice called from the other side.

'Cadaver must be his name.'

I assumed as I looked back at the man in front of me. "Yes, now enter."

Not a moment sooner was the fur lifted by a chubby tan hand as a short round woman walked through. Her brown hair curled up to her shoulders as her tan skin was covered by a one piece fur dress. Her chocolate eyes met mine as surprise took her features. She looked no older than forty yet she still stood as tall as a child, reminding me a lot of my own mother I left behind.

"Brynn, this is Avery. The female that was abandoned a week ago. She will be apart of the colony now."

Brynn took a few steps forward before stopping a few paces in front of me. She looked me over again before placing her hand over her heart.

"Hello Avery I'm Brynn. Welcome to the colony." She gave an impossibly wide smile. "Does this mean I will be her acting guardian before she finds a mate?" She directed her question to Cadaver. He nodded pointly.

"Yes but it seems that she should remain here in your winter home. She is in heat at the moment and the effects of her smell is very potent."

Brynn turned to me almost astonished before widening her smile even more. "Then we must decorate this place if you are going to stay in here! Cadaver if you don't mind I would like to have my pups back for a very important project." Cadaver nodded once before standing up and walking out of the room. My face flushed as he wore nothing but a birthday suit while leaving. The hall illuminated with light fallowed by clicking before a man came walking in. Like Cadaver he was tall and broad as his skin was tan. But unlike Cadaver he had more aged scars and grey hair that peppered his mop top while a animal skin skirt hung around his waist. His ears where gruff and pointed, but at all inviting to touch. His face was unexpressive as he made his way to Brynn, whom looked at him with affection.

"Avery this is Cliff, my mate." He placed his hand over his chest while a small bow of his head. He didn't say anything just a nod and a hum. "He.. isn't much of a talker but he isn't scary, he's actually very caring."