Never run from a predator and never have your back towards them.

'Oh sweet Mary, why are your wise words only coming to me now?'

I couldn't help my watery eyes as the wind wiped against them right before I managed to get my foot caught in a raised root. I could feel my ankle twist and make an audible pop as I fell over and struggled to crawl away.

'I'm not going to die like this, am I?'

The charging boar continued its course towards me as I mulled over how my obituary. The pain in my ankle throbbed with each movement as I turned to face the charging animal.

"Is this what I get for eating pork? Damn that's some cruel irony, I guess." I cracked a lame joke to myself as I at least made an attempt to move with the injured ankle but I knew it was of little use, giving into my fear of death with tightly closing eyes and praying that it'll be quick.

Growl.

Squeal.

Crack.

Thud.

I could hear all of these terribly terrifying sounds before opening my eyes. I locked onto the scene of a boars carcass slapping against the ground under the jaws of a large wolf. Its bright pearly white coat glimmered under the afternoon sun. Light blue eyes were focused on twisting the boars neck cleanly allowing me to see the nasty scar spread across its snout and near its left eye. The canine had to be about a mere ten paces away from me, and I did not want to see those sharp teeth drenched in crimson any longer.

I slowly scooted away and hid behind a tree, making sure not to look away from the predator. Though a bit late in remembering, I took that advice like gospel while knowing full well Mary would call me a 'dumbass' if she was here right now. I was doing a crap job of calming my heart and not putting more pressure on my injury while pain flooded my thoughts. If the wolf doesn't go after me and I survive, how am I going to fix this? I really should have listened when Mary was teaching me the basics of first aid.

The sounds of cracking soon came to an abrupt stop as silence replaced it. My heart sped up as I could hear scratching against dirt fallowed by an ear bursting howl. I quickly moved to cover my ears, allowing my vibrating brain to focus slightly. Though little noise came after the howl as its footsteps went farther away from me.

Or so I thought.

A twing snapped to the left of the tree I hid behind, followed by the thud of a corpse dropping.

'Oh, I'm dead. Mom, if you can hear me now, just know that I want you to go easier on my sisters when I'm gone. I know we can be hardheaded at times, but using the nearest thing to correct us with is the most terrifying thing in existence.'

"pakimakas*" I muttered my last goodbye with shut teary eyes.

"Sorry...are you alright?" An awkward pause fallowed those four words.

'Im not dead... right?'

I slowly opened my eyes slowly as my brain buffered.

His face was defined and young looking as he grew no facial hair. Light blue eyes looked down at me with a gaze only an old soul could carry while a scar ran across the bridge of his nose. Long locks of soft, snow-colored hair fluttered in the wind while taking the softest strokes against his pale skin. I couldn't help but find myself mesmerized by his beauty, making me have a broken brain moment.

"Makisig*..." I mistakingly muttered out loud.

I watched as his head tilted slightly in a manner that reminded me of a confused dog.