Chapter 1 - Heartbreak Mechanic

Začať od začiatku

After a few seconds, I can tell he's not hyperventilating as much as he was before. He doesn't let go of me, but his grip also isn't as tight. This moment feels so long it nearly hurts a little bit, but I can tell he's feeling a bit calmer, so I'm happy to help.

When I come to think of it, poor man. I don't think he ever even had someone to do this for him. To listen to him, to tell him he's not a loser. I don't know, it's messed up. I really hope it hits him and he finally realizes he doesn't need a girl to like him so he's not a loser. That doesn't define him. And even if he is, he's a cool loser. I like the time I spend with him. Maybe that makes me a loser too.

He takes his head off my shoulder and looks at me. I look back. We're just staring at each other. His eyes are red and I can tell one of his contacts isn't right where it's supposed to be. I don't have the strength to tell him either. Not the moment for that. His face is all red, but he cried a lot after all.

— T-thanks man. — He stumbles upon his words.
— You're welcome, dude. — I say. I think it took me too long to say it.

— ... — He looks at me awkwardly. It's almost as if he wasn't crying just now. But he doesn't really say anything.
— ...? — I raise an eyebrow, it'd be awkward to just ask "What?" when he hasn't even said anything.
— You're kinda red, bro. — He looked at my face.
— What? I'm not. You're red. You literally just finished crying. My skin is probably just reflecting yours. Anyway... — I say while I get up. I offer him my hand, so he can get up too. — Do you wanna go to pork burger? Maybe eating will cheer you up a bit.
— Hell yeah, dude! Let's go! — He gets up, putting in a bit too much force when he pulls onto my hand to get up. I nearly fell, but I'm glad he's happy.

As he gets up, he strikes a huge smile and an upbeat pose. His sharp teeth nearly shine. I sometimes wonder how he just... Has sharp teeth? I wait for him to start walking towards Pork Burger so I will too.

We start walking towards that island, and we're a bit quiet. Soon, Kazuichi breaks the silence.
— Aw man. You're really good at that stuff, you know? — He walks with his hands behind his head, elbows up and eyes closed. He should not have his eyes closed.
— Good at what?
— You know, the pep talk you just gave me! It was great. Maybe you're the ultimate pep talker. — His tone started sounding a lot more positive. God, I'm relieved.
— I don't think that's a real thing. — I chuckle.
— Ultimate Friend? Come on, you've shown me so much support! — He opened his eyes and looked at me.

I sat on that phrase quietly and he respected my silence too while we got closer to Pork Burger.

— I don't think I'm all that good... But I'm glad you feel supported. — What else would I say about this?

— I even forgot what I was crying about! That's how good you are. That's why you're my sou- Oh! Hey! That's Pork Burger right ahead, man.

As he said that I could spot the spinning sign of Pork Burger. The burger joint was right in front of us. Everything just feels so misplaced on this island. We walk towards it, there's no one around. I guess people must be up to something else. I enter the restaurant first. The neon lights from the signs are pretty bright, but since it's day, it's not that much of an issue.

— So, what are you feeling like having? — He goes behind the counter, scanning for things to eat.

Here in Pork Burger the food isn't always ready like in the dining Hall on the first Island. I guess we'd have to make something. Doesn't seem to be a problem for him, but I really don't know how to cook.

— Maybe we could... Huh... — While I made up my mind, I got up and walked towards the counter as well. As I got behind it, I noticed there aren't any actual food items here. They must be in the kitchen. There's some coffee brewers and some milkshake machines... Mixers? I'm not sure what they're called.