Chapter 1 - Heartbreak Mechanic

As I walk around the island trying to beef up my pet for coins, I spot Kazuichi sitting down on the sidewalk near the beach. He looks depressed. I guess he does every once in a while, he expresses his emotions so strongly, always. Always saying whatever comes to mind, always so bold. After all, I don't really know if that's boldness or courage or simple stupidity. Anyway, I better bother him a little bit to figure out what happened to him. I approached him and said:

— Hey, Kazuichi? Are you... alright? — I speak hesitantly. I have no idea what he's going to throw at me.

Kazuichi looks up at me, he looks directly into my eyes. I could tell he was crying, but he stopped the moment I approached him.

— Yeah dude. Totally.
— You don't seem alright... What's up? — as I was in front of him before, I sat down next to him. He looked at me and didn't say a thing.

An awkward silence fills the air. Does he want to say something? Does he not? Is he waiting for me to read his mind? Also, why is he looking so directly at me. That's weird. Now that I think about it, he probably always did it.

— ...I saw Sonia flirting with Gundham, dude! She was all over him. — He nearly yells.

Now it makes sense. I guessed he didn't care all that much. I thought it was just a dumb crush, and maybe it still is, but he's crying over it now. I don't know how he can fall so hard for someone he knows so briefly. For how long have we even been here? But still, I should say something. How do I comfort him?

— I'm sorry man... Well, maybe they were just hanging out? Even then, there's other... girls on this island. It's not that big of a deal, right?

— But dude, of course it is! Sonia is perfect. She's kind, polite, she has silky and PERFECT blonde hair. Have you seen her eyes? And how proper she is? Dude, I'd do anything for her to look my way. She'd... be the perfect girl for me to bring back home after we get out of here. Maybe if I were with her people wouldn't think I'm that much of a loser. — He said, getting less energetic and a lot more depressed as the sentence ended.

I think I get it now. Maybe he's trying to prove to himself and to others that he can do it. That he doesn't need to be alone. I guess it makes a lot more sense than just straight up loving someone you barely know. Maybe he's idealizing it...

— Hey, Kazuichi? — I look at him and put my hand on his shoulder. Is it too early for this? Am I crossing any boundaries? Man, why am I so awkward.
— Yeah, man..? — He looks back at me, as he had before put his hands on his face while he looked down on the ground.
— Look, you don't need to date Sonia to be... cool? — Great choice of words Hajime. He must be feeling so good right now. WOW.
— What... do you mean? — He responds. Maybe I can save this.
— It's just that, think about it with me. It's not the end of the world, right? There's a lot more people out there that will like you eventually. A lot more people out there that can fall for you! A lot of people who won't think you're a loser. I don't think you're a loser. And if Sonia does, dude, maybe she doesn't know you! And if she doesn't want to, that's her loss. — I speak and it comes out too quickly. I feel like maybe I was hasty. I don't think I said everything I wanted to say, but I also may have just said too much.

Kazuichi looks at me, and his expression is nearly blank, but also very confused. He looks at me and then back at his hands, and in a very quick movement, which scared me a LOT, he hugs me strongly, with all his might.

— Ouch! — I exclaim, on accident even. What? I got scared. Sorry.

He stays quiet but I can tell he's crying. He's holding onto me and my clothes very forcefully. Almost as if he didn't, I'd let go of him or something. I wrap my arms around him and lead his head to sit on my shoulder with my hand. We stay quiet for some seconds. He's crying, but very quietly. His body feels warm and I can feel how fast his heart is beating.