23 | New Beginnings

Start from the beginning

As the kids settled back onto the couch, Roux and Raina wrapped their arms around them, creating a warm and loving embrace. The rain outside had transitioned from a gentle patter to a steady downpour, but inside their shared living room, a different kind of warmth enveloped them—a feeling of unity, acceptance, and the beginning of something beautiful.

Together, they knew they would face the challenges of blending their lives and their love, but in this moment, surrounded by laughter and love, they felt more certain than ever that they were on the right path. Their love story was no longer just Roux and Raina; it was a family story, one they were eager to write together.

As the four of them sat together, sharing laughter and affection, Ethan, always quick with ideas, piped up. "Do you know what we should do?"

Roux raised an eyebrow, curious about his son's suggestion. "Do tell, Ethan."

With an enthusiastic glint in his eyes, Ethan grinned. "We should have a picnic! A big family picnic!"

Raina's face lit up at the idea, and Emma clapped her hands in agreement. It had been many years since she had attended a picnic. "Yes, yes, a picnic! That sounds amazing!"

Roux could not help but smile at his children's excitement. "A picnic, huh? Well, that does sound like a great idea."

Ethan nodded eagerly. "We can pack sandwiches and fruit, and we'll bring a big blanket. We can go to the park and spend the whole day together."

Raina chimed in, "And we can play games, just like we did earlier. It will be so much fun!"

Emma added her own suggestion. "And we should bring some of mom's famous chocolate chip cookies!"

Raina's lips tugged at the title. Having a child was normal, almost any woman could but, being a mother was earned. She earned the title and she was a hundred percent sure of it.

Roux chuckled, his heart warmed by the idea of a family picnic. "All right, it's settled then. We will plan a family picnic for this weekend. I will discuss with my assistant to clear my schedule"

Ethan's eyes shone with excitement as he leaned against Roux, and Emma nestled closer to Raina. The bonds of their unconventional family were growing stronger with each passing day, and the prospect of a picnic was the perfect way to celebrate their newfound love and togetherness.

As they continued to discuss their picnic plans, the rain outside had transformed into a gentle drizzle, a promise of a brighter day ahead. In their cozy living room, the warmth of their love and shared dreams enveloped them, reminding them that, in each other's company, they had found something truly precious—a family that was built on love, trust, and the willingness to embrace the unexpected twists of life.

Raina McCoy found herself momentarily lost in thought, her gaze drifting away from the animated conversation around her. She had always been one to daydream, and now her thoughts took her back to a time when picnics and family outings were distant memories.

Her mind wandered to her childhood, a time when love had been a palpable presence in her life. Raina's parents had shared a bond that had seemed unbreakable. Her mother had been a warm, nurturing presence, and her father had been the epitome of a doting husband.

She remembered their family picnics in the park, just like the one they were planning now. Her father would bring a guitar, and her mother would sing sweet melodies that filled the air with joy. It was during those moments that Raina had seen what true love looked like. It was in her parents' smiles, their shared laughter, and the way they looked at each other as if they were the only two people in the world.

But then, everything had changed. Raina's blissful childhood had taken a tragic turn when her mother passed. She spent years blaming herself for the unfortunate events that unfolded that night.

Raina's gaze focused on the rain-streaked window, her expression tinged with sadness as she remembered the day her mother had passed away. It had been a day when love had been replaced by an overwhelming sense of loss. Her mother's absence had left a void in their home that seemed impossible to fill.

And then, her father's transformation had begun. The man who had once been loving and caring had turned into a stranger. Grief had twisted him into someone unrecognizable, and his anger had become a daily presence in their lives. Raina had watched helplessly as her father's abusive behavior had escalated, and their home had turned into a place of fear and pain.

But then, there had been a glimmer of hope—a chance encounter from the moment Thea Addington had approached her. She had met Roux Addington, a man who was grieving but had still managed to be good to his children. Somewhere, she wished her father had done same.

As Raina's mind returned to the present moment, she realized just how much her life had changed since meeting Roux, Ethan, and Emma Addington. They had given her a second chance at experiencing love and family, and she could not be more grateful.

Raina blinked away a tear that had threatened escaped, and she turned to Roux with a tender smile. "You know, I cannot thank you three enough, for coming into my life. You, Ethan, and Emma mean the world to me."

Roux, sensing the depth of her emotions, reached out to gently caress her cheek. "Raina, you mean just as much to us. You've brought a light into our lives that we didn't even know was missing."

Emma and Ethan, sensing the shift in the conversation, looked at Raina with a mixture of curiosity and concern. Raina offered them a reassuring smile.

"It's nothing to worry about, sweethearts," she said, addressing the children. "Sometimes, when we've experienced difficult times, we appreciate the good moments even more. That's all I was thinking about."

Ethan nodded, understanding more than he let on, and Emma nestled closer to Raina, seeking comfort in her presence.

Roux spoke with a soft sincerity in his voice. "We're a family now, Raina. We're here for each other, through the ups and downs, and from now on, we will make beautiful memories together."

Raina's heart swelled with gratitude as she looked at the three people who had become the pillars of her life. She had experienced love and loss, but now, she was on a journey filled with hope and a newfound sense of belonging. In Roux, Ethan, and Emma, she had found her own family, and she knew that their upcoming picnic would be just the beginning of many more cherished moments together.

As the rain outside continued to fall, its gentle rhythm seemed to echo the soothing reassurance of love and healing within the walls of their shared home. Raina closed her eyes, taking a moment to appreciate the warmth and love that surrounded her, a stark contrast to the cold and stormy memories of her past.

In the embrace of her newfound family, Raina knew that, despite the challenges that lay ahead, she was finally on the path to creating the kind of love-filled memories that would last a lifetime. And she could not wait to embark on this journey with Roux, Ethan, and Emma, grateful for the love that had found its way into her life once more.

She knew that no matter what, she was ready to fight for her family as they were for her and at the moment, that was all that really mattered.