second chance trope (blaise's version)

Start from the beginning

Pt 2:
The next morning - it was a Sunday - Blaise had been banging on your dorm door with a tenacity that drove you mad. You had to cast a silence spell to cut it off.
Now it's Monday and you have no other choice but to face Blaise, whom you are going to see sooner or later. There's no way of completely avoiding him when you go to school together and even are in the same house.
You take a few deep breaths, straightening your clothes in front of your mirror.
Are you devastated? Yes. Did you cry yourself to sleep last night? Yes. Does that mean everyone has to see how broken you are? No. And most definitely Blaise doesn't have to see, for he will probably look completely fine.
Retaining your panic, you tell yourself that you'll at least have time to face him until entering the common room.
Keep calm. Keep calm. You repeat those words in your head over and over again until your heartbeat has come down to an almost normal rate and grab your back.
Opening the door and stepping out, you let out a scared and confused scream and stumble over something right in front of your door.
Your landing is soft, however. A mattress?
No, definitely no mattress. Mattresses don't move. And they don't groan when you fall onto them. "Blaise?!"
It is Blaise.
Quickly, you climb out of his lap and scoot away from him. "What the hell are you doing here?"
He scratches the back of his head that he had banged on the wall when you landed on top of him. "I was waiting for you.", he mumbles after a few seconds.
You look down at him and see he's still wearing his pajamas. "Did you sleep here?"
He shakes his head, one hand still pressed to the back of his head. "I wanted to but that would've been weird."
You scoff. "It's weird anyways, Blaise."
Getting on your feet, you look down at him. "I told you to leave me alone. I think I made my point clear.", you say with the most determined voice and facial expression you can manage, even though on the inside, you are everything but determined.
You don't let him reply but quickly make your way down the stairs.
Blaise waists no second and runs after you. "Please just let me explain everything!"
You ignore him and keep walking through the common room until a warm hand grabs your wrist. "Please don't run away from me."
Left with no other choice but to stop in your tracks, you turn around and see the dark circles sitting under Blaise's eyes and the stubble on his cheeks, telling you he didn't spend any effort on his appearance at least for the last 3 days.
It unusual for him - he's usually very focused on his looks, almost obsessed with it.
"You look horrible.", you say before you can stop yourself.
"Yeah, I didn't sleep last night and I couldn't stop crying. I miss you. But you look very pretty."
You try not to let his words affect you, but that's hard considering how vulnerable he looks, the remorse and pain visible in his eyes.
A lump forms in your throat.
"Blaise, you need to stop searching for me, you need to stop waiting for me in front of my door. Please leave me alone. You make all of this so much harder."
Blaise's grip on your wrists tightens. "I can't leave you alone. Fuck, I don't even have the guts to try to live without you. I know I messed up and I should've told you about the bet sooner, but I couldn't."
Tears fill his eyes and threaten to fall down, and seeing him on the verge of tears makes you tear up as well, along with his words. You know they're true, but sadly, that doesn't make a lot of a difference.
"What do you want me to do, Blaise? Forget about the bet? I can't. I don't have any trust in you anymore."
The words come out slightly shaky, but you manage to stay relatively calm, under the circumstances.
"No, I know. But please let's work it out.", Blaise pleads, intertwining your fingers with his.
You want to lean into the touch, because it always used to bring you the comfort you needed, but thinking about what happened, it felt bitter. So you pull away.
"I honestly don't know how we can work this out.", is all you say before you force yourself to leave Blaise, whose tears are now flowing over.

Pt 3:
You assumed staying away from Blaise would get easier with time. That's what everyone said: Time heals every wound.
In your case, it seems that time does not give a shit about healing your wounds.
Your friends truly were your rock in the surf: steady and solid, they stayed by your side, offering you everything you could possibly need, from a shoulder to cry to, to keeping Blaise at a distance. That was something you really needed, especially the last days, since you often found yourself almost caving in when looking into his pain-stricken eyes.
Often, your friends turned up at your dorm for random movie nights or outside activities, just to distract you from the onerous thoughts in your mind. On such an outdoor activity you find yourself now: You are being dragged to Hogsmeade by two of your friends, both of them holding one of your hands firmly while talking.
You let them, barely taking part in their conversation.
Hogsmeade truly is a magnificent place, dripping from magic and happiness. It's hard to hang onto deep thoughts in such a cheerful surrounding.
When you leave Honey Dukes with a small bag of sweets of various kinds, you find yourself almost smiling.
Your friends discuss where to go next, when you spot a familiar figure. Clearly visible trough one of the windows in the Three Broomsticks, you see Blaise sitting with his friends. They are talking unworried and happily. Blaise is sitting mostly still, only nodding from time to time.
You feel your chest tighten as you suddenly realize how familiar his behavior is to yours. Both of you are with your friends, but somehow still withdrawing from the human interaction.
It's as if he felt your eyes on him. It takes him a second to spot you, standing utterly still and looking at him. For some reason, you don't manage to move the slightest and when your eyes meet his, your breath catches in your throat at the overwhelming pain in his brown eyes.
Your friends, unaware of the situation, drag you into the Three Broomstick for a butterbeer. You are too confused to protest, so you all take a seat at the bar, and quickly get handed your drinks. You are very aware of the intense stare that burns into your skin as you grab the jug a little tighter. After a few minutes, your friends leave for the toilet. Seconds later, you feel a familiar presence behind you and are not surprised to find Blaise standing right behind you.
"Hey.", he says, voice sore and all.
You just nod, suddenly unable to talk.
"I know you probably don't want to talk to me at all, but- it's just that you look terrible."
You squint your eyes, feeling a sudden anger. "Wow, thank you.", you hiss.
Blaise's eyes widen as he realizes how you took his words. "No, no, that not what I meant at all! I mean you look grief-stricken."
You let your eyes wander across his face. "Well, not as grief-stricken as you, I hope. Because you really look devastated."
Blaise nods. "I'm not going to deny it. I feel barely human without you, I am thinking all the time. My friends forced me to go out today. I didn't want to, because going out without you feels like a total waste of time."
For you don't really know what to say, you remain silent, fighting with your jug.
"I- look, I know I said it so often you probably can't hear it anymore, but I am really sorry. I can hardly put it into words. Do you think we could... talk about it?", he asks, stuffing his hands in his pockets while waiting for your response.
You tried so desperately to get better, to continue your life without Blaise, and it really did not work. You don't believe that time will ever change that, because after all that has happened, you feel that special bond between you, the deep connection of two matching souls. With Blaise standing in front of you, without your friends by your side, you can't help but think that you probably will never find peace again if you don't at least have a proper conversation with Blaise, no matter if things can be fixed or not.
So you nod. "Yeah, I think we should talk.", you add, your voice unusually steady now that you made the decision. You tell him a place and time an shoo him away for you really don't want to explain that to your friends.