second chance trope (oliver's version)

Start from the beginning

Pt 2:
Oliver had ran straight after you after you stormed out of his dorm. The next hour he had spent banging on your door until he had got the hint to leave you alone and left. Shortly after that came the messages that you had brushed off, but having to go trough everything, especially blocking him when everything you wanted to do was process in peace had caused another breakdown.
You over-taught how hard it is going to be to face Oliver again and therefore couldn't get yourself out of bed on Monday and Thursday.
Then you decided enough was enough. Despite the trouble your teachers would cause when you missed class any longer, you were sick of how much control Oliver had over your life.
Let's  just do small steps., you thought to yourself.
And that's how you ended up in the almost empty Gryffindor common room. You knew Oliver had quidditch practice today, that's why you thought it would be safe to go down there and get used to being outside of your dorm again after 4 days.
After half an hour you finally convinced yourself everything was fine when the portrait hole swung open and revealed a few of the quidditch players, Katie and Angelina in the front.
"He really need to get his shit together", Katie scoffed.
Yeah, Wood is fucking unpredictable lately.", Angelina replies. Fred told me Wood has been on the pitch constantly the last days."
They don't see you sitting on a armchair and brush past you, followed by their team mates.
Your heart hurts in your chest when Oliver climbs trough the portrait hole. His gaze flutters to the girls dormitories, then he sighs and walks the other way to the boys dorm, right past you.
You try to melt into the armchair but it's no use. Of course he sees you, he's been praying to see you for days.
His mouth opens in surprise and you try not to care about how bad he looks. Pale face, dark circles, no humor in his eyes.
He clears his throat. "Hi.", he whispers.
You sink your nails in the armchair as his voice meets your ears. It's causing another wave of pain washing over you. You want to get up and leave so badly, but it's as if his brown eyes took the ability to control your body from you.
He sits down across from you, his fingers wrapping tightly around the broom he's still holding, making his knuckles turn white.
"Say something, please.", Oliver pleads, leaning forward into your direction.
When your faces are leveled, that's when you snap out of your trance and jump up.
"There's nothing to say.", is all you manage to say before you brush past him.
Before you get away, his hand wraps around your wrist. You flinch at the touch and at the same time want to melt into it. Ugh.
"I have a lot to say."
His voice is pleading as he speaks to you, a soft expression in his eyes. "Fuck, just let me tell you everything. I need you. It's beyond sexual need. Fuck, I love you, I can't be without you. I hate every second I have to spend without you. Even quidditch sucks."
Internally you groan. Why does he have to make this so goddamn hard? He won the bet, he got the galleons. Why can't he just leave you alone?
It makes you angry somehow, at least that's what you tell yourself as your heart starts banging against your rib cage. Angry is better then heartbroken.
Furiously, you snatch your wrist from him. "I'm glad you got to talk this off of your heart. Doesn't change a thing though.", you hiss into his face.
With that, you finally brush past him, feeling yet again how your heart rips in your chest.
Despair and anger at himself take control over Oliver.
A loud crash and a look over your shoulder confirm that Oliver had thrown away his broom and stormed up the stairs to his dorm.
"What the hell was that?", Fred and George shout.
You sigh. Yeah, what the hell was that?

Pt 3:
The next following weeks, you tried to cling onto the anger the best you could because it overlaid every other emotion. Eventually, the anger did vanish, slowly but surely.
What was left was heartache, and even more present was the concern.
As a bystander, you could watch from a first row seat how Oliver turned into a shallow of the person he used to be. Ambitions and passion left him completely, leaving an uninterested and aimless human being that took absolutely no care of himself.
Rumor has it that he even refused to continue training the Gryffindors at quidditch. Harry temporarily took that position.
At the beginning, you refused to believe that the break up could effect Oliver that badly that he gave up on his biggest passion, until you saw him sitting in the library on his own while from afar, you could watch people in red uniforms zoom across the quidditch field.
The very same evening, you were sat in the common room, talking to your friends, when an extremely exhausted Harry climbed through the portrait hole. He went straight up to you.
"Enough is enough!", he said, furiously loosening the tie around his neck.
You raised a brow. "Excuse me?"
Harry scoffed. "God damn it, you really need to speak with Oliver. I have enough things on my mind besides being a fucking team captain. The twins are driving me mad, and I am really sick of swing Oliver go to waste. Either you talk to him on your own will, or I will force you to!", he rambled, leaving you quiet and surprised.
"I- I don't think- what-", you stuttered.
Your friend cleared her throat. "You know, I think Harry is on to something. You look alright, but you really aren't. I'm not saying you and Oliver should go back together, but you at least need to talk about what happened. And I know you feel bad for him.", she softly spoke.
You shook your head. "No!", is all you said before running up the stairs to your dorm.
Two hours later, you still weren't able to stop your mind from spinning and very reluctantly decided that Harry and your friend were right. You could not watch this any longer. After a while of searching, you found Oliver still sitting in the library even though it was almost curfew.
Not knowing what exactly you want to say, you pull out a chair across from Oliver and take a seat. His head snaps up and his eyes widen when he sees it's you. Confused, you watch him pinch himself.
"What was that?", you ask.
"I was just making sure this is real.", he answers.
You can't help but slightly smile. "It is. I think we need to talk. You...changed a lot.", is what you mumble, fidgeting with your tie.
Oliver sighs deeply. "Yeah, well...I just find myself uninterested in anything. It's like I lost not only you, but myself as well.", he explains, his voice shaky and his eyes slowly filling with tears.
You hardly manage to swallow the lump in your throat that threatens to suffocate you. "I'm really sorry for that.", you croak.
To your horror, Oliver let's out a gut wrenching sob. "How-", he swallows hard. "Why are you apologizing? I deserve all of this. What I did is really unforgivable and no matter how long I will suffer, I won't complain, because I really deserve to suffer."
Lead by the primal urge to comfort Oliver, you lean out for his hands that clenched around a quill. He leans into your touch immediately, letting out a shaky breath.
"Ollie, I know we are broken up, but I can't watch you go to waste. You used to be so...bright and passionate and now you won't even climb on a broom? That's so wrong. Please don't throw away your life, just because I'm no longer by your side.", you whisper, locking eyes with him.
"But you are my life.", he whispers back, tightening his grip on your fingers when he feels you stiffen. "I know you don't believe me, but I really love you and I am terribly sorry."
When you search for emotions in his eyes, you see nothing but sincerity and honesty and pure regret.
When you speak up again, your voice is steady and clear. "I believe you."