second chance trope (harry's version)

Start from the beginning

Pt 2:
After you blocked Harry, you refused to leave your dorm for two days, but Hermione and Ginny convinced you not to put your life on a halt.
The first lessons went smooth because you didn't have them with Harry, so it was fairly easy to make it through those.
What really scared the living hell out of you was attending divination. Crackling fires, scented incense sticks, soft pillows, relaxing seating areas - it's your personal hall on earth.
Anxiously spinning the quill between your thumb and index finger, you try to control your breath.
You choose to sit at the very back of the room.
Any time his dark messy locks should pop out of the whole in the ground. Any time.
You try not to look, but every time someone enters the room, you can't help but eye them from the corner of the eyes, holding your breath and releasing the air from your lungs with relief every time it's not Harry.
Until it is him.
Not able to turn your head back, you stare as first his hair pops out of the ground, then the unmistakable scar on his forehead, the edges of his glasses, his eyes and nose, his lips and then the rest of his body. As soon as he has some ground under his feet, his darting green eyes find yours.
Out of habit, a small smile appears on his lips and he takes three steps into your direction until reality settles in again. He sees the way your body stiffens. Nonchalantly, he turns a little and takes a seat in the table next to you.
All the feelings you were able to control the whole day come crashing down on you. The hurt, the bitter taste of betrayal, the anger, the self-consciousness.
You thought sitting in the back of the class would enable Harry to stare at you. It didn't. He is shamelessly about it. Meanwhile his body is facing towards Professor Trelawney as she starts speaking, his head is turned into your direction, green eyes examining your face as if to find out if there's any love left for him.
Harry's heart clenches as he sees how puffy your eyes are from crying for days. In the dim light of chandlers he can't make out the collie of your eyes, but he's sure they're red.
Absentminded, he pulls out a string of silver out that was hidden under his shirt. He starts playing with the pendant that used to lay on your heart for the past months. What he would give to see it on you again.
Your eyes wander to Harry and when you see your necklace dangling on his chest, his fingers clenched around the material, you can't take it any longer. Without thinking twice about the consequences, you leap up and grab your bag.
You just don't have the strength to see Harry's pain when yours is already consuming every fiber of your being.
"What are you doing, Miss y/l/n?", the Professor asks.
You don't respond, and just like that, you're gone, leaving everyone wondering and shocked. A few eyes lingered in Harry, who got up to climb down the ladder as well. "Wait, y/n!"
You try to run faster, but Harry quickly catches you. "Please, don't run away!"
With that, his hand wraps around your elbow, causing you to stop.
"What, Harry?!", you scream. "Let me fucking go!"
"I can't! I can't be without you! I tried but I can't and I really want to apologize. No, I need to apologize. Please hear me out."
You scoff. "You already apologized, Harry. It's not going to change a thing."
You really try not to let him see through you, not to let him see the pain, but your body tricks you. Quivering chin, watery eyes, short breath.
Harry's voice is a mere whisper. "I never wanted to cause you any pain. I hate that I did."
You nod. "Mhm, but you not leaving me alone after I told you two times to leave me alone is not helping anything. You make it worse, Harry."
A single tear rolls down his cheek. "I don't want to-"
"Give me space then!"
With that, you leave Harry standing alone in the hallways.

Pt 3:
If your heart had been torn to pieces right after you found out about the bet, it did get shred into tiny nothings after Harry and you spoke under the divination classroom.
You had a unimaginable fear when it came to that particular class; the thought of spending two hours in a room with Harry, so close and jet so far away from each other had you in a literal chokehold. After skipping two times and realizing you wouldn't be able to focus on the class at all, you changed your timetable and switched from divination to ancient runes, which is a faulty being class, but better then torturing yourself.
„You know, you can't ignore Harry forever.", Hermione whispers to you, taking notes in the meantime. She sounds annoyed, which is no great surprise. Harry uses her as a mouthpiece, demanding her to tell you over and over and over again how terribly sorry he is. It's obvious she's not having it.
„You know, you don't have to do what Harry tells you. By being his mouthpiece, I mean.", you replie. „Besides, no matter how many times he  apologizes, those words don't mean anything."
Hermione drops her quill, hissing angrily. „You said that a million times and yet I can literally smell how much you miss being with Harry. Stop lying to yourself, at least!", she spits.
In that very second, the teacher ends the lesson and Hermione storms out before you can think of a reply.
As much as you hate to admit it, she's right: You miss Harry. The past three months you tried your best to forget about Harry and the things you had together, but needless to say it did not work the slightest bit. Every time you thought too much about it you felt your mind twisting and turning. You are torn between the bitter betrayal and the sweet longing. But truly, apologies - no matter how heart felt and how many there would be - are not going to fix anything.
Deep in your thoughts, you walk to your dorm to change out of your uniform.
You instantly know someone has been in here. Looking around, you see a tiny box on your nightstand, with a note attached to it.
Curious, you pick it up and open the box. Draped on soft fabric is your necklace - the one you gave Harry back. You gently stroke the pendant, thinking about how Harry played with it absentmindedly in divination class.
Feeling a little sting in your heart, you take out the necklace, put the box away and unfold the note.
I know you said you want me to leave you alone and don't worry, I didn't break into your dorm...Hermione did.
This necklace belongs to you, wether we are a couple or not. You don't have to wear it, of course, but I can't keep it either.
As I said, it's a sign of my love, that will be everlasting if I might add.
I know you don't want to see me ever again, sadly I can't make that happen because we are both students here. But I will stay away from you, if that's what you really want.
Even though everything I want is your forgiveness and love, I know I'm not worthy any or those. Just know I'm utterly sorry, for all I did. If you ever find it in your heart to come back to me, I will be waiting.
I love you.
Goodbye.
The note is not signed, but that would be unnecessary. Reading the note all over again, you can't help the sob that escapes your lips. Trough every word, you can feel the heartbreak and remorse that Harry goes trough.
You sigh shakily. There's no way you can ignore him any longer. Three months without him felt like a torturous eternity. How are you supposed to make it through another day? These damn feelings won't go away and it seems like everyday it gets only harder to stay away from Harry.
It occurs you that Hermione is right. You were lying to yourself. You did miss Harry.
Before your mind can speak a word, you let your heart make a decision.
Taking one step at a time, you make it down the stairs and into the common room we're you know Harry will be sitting, just like he did every other day for the past months just to at least catch a glimpse of you.
Just like every time, his eyes are on you the moment you enter the room. But unlike every other day, you return his look as you walk up to him, making everything else turn silent.
"We need to talk.", is all you say when you stand in front of him.