Chapter 8

Banded shadows marked the valleys, carved the sand along the thin stretch of beach outside the café. Yuuta's feet pressed against its granular surface as he ran next to Fushiguro. The spiky-haired man's tan skin was painted with gold, while his sharp green eyes became faceted with drips from the melting sunset.

"Thanks for doing this with me," Yuuta said between breaths.

"It's no problem. If I didn't do this, I would turn to jelly," Fushiguro said.

"Toge said you used to beat him all the time in the body contest, so I figured you were the best to ask," Yuuta admitted.

"I saw you signed up. Figured it had something to do with him. Glad my expertise in beating him is appreciated," Fushiguro's breaths deepened.

"It's not just that, though," Yuuta felt his calves pulsate as his ankles shifted in the sand.

"What do you mean?" Fushiguro glanced over.

"I also just wanted to see you," Yuuta smiled.

Fushiguro rolled his eyes with a slight pink blush that was almost hidden by the magenta skyline. "Maki is right. You are punchable."

Yuuta gasped dramatically, "What?! She said that? I thought we were getting along fine."

"You really can't read people well," Fushiguro shook his head.

"I do, but only when they're mad or sad. I guess Maki wasn't saying it in an angry way then. Maybe it was a joke or a weird compliment," Yuuta reasoned.

"Nah, Maki is a straight shooter. She isn't mad at you. Just doesn't like you, I guess," Fushiguro stopped running, grasping at his knees for air to fill his lungs.

"I'll put a pin in that for now. Come back to it when I have a solution on how to make her like me," Yuuta stopped running as well, less out of breath than his counterpart.

Fushiguro stretched his hips and shoulders, "It's fine. It takes time to get on her good side. Out of all three of you guys, I think I respect you the most, then Maki, and last of all Inumaki."

Yuuta couldn't help but release a short giggle, "Why Toge last?"

"A few reasons. Some of which are jealousy and general annoyance. I've known the guy for a few years, and he rarely gives me the time of day unless it's extra food. Then you show up, and suddenly you're all first names and replacing me as a rival. It's not your fault, but still," Fushiguro frowned.

"Didn't think anything would bother you that bad," Yuuta said.

"It's more like an accumulation of small things. One raindrop does not make a thunderstorm," Fushiguro said.

"I like that phrase," Yuuta said.

"My sister used to say it. Then one day it was a thunderstorm. Now here we are," Fushiguro clenched his jaw as he spoke.

"Well, I'm glad that at least we ended up here, right?" Yuuta asked.

"You seem more optimistic than usual. Is something up?" Fushiguro asked.

"Not really, no. I'm just kind of glad that you respect me. I know Toge is always an arm's reach away, but I think he's coming around to both of us. It's probably my fault he was like that anyway. But maybe there is something up," Yuuta said.

"You're fault? Because you left? You think it affected him that hard?" Fushiguro asked.

Yuuta shrugged, "I think I'm starting to understand him more, thanks to you, of course. I think you were right. Maybe the best thing for us was to be apart back then. Who knows what would have happened. All I know now is that I used to look at the sea and remember my parents; they had blue eyes just like mine. Now when I see those waves, I can't hear them over his scream," Yuuta gently smiled.