Bliss

Chapter 5

Theo ;)

- Did you reach home safely?

Me

- Yep :) Did you?

Theo ;)

- Yeah! It was nice talking to you.
We should meet for another date sometime.

Me

- Hmm, how about next week?

Theo ;)

- Sure! See you there!

Last seen 22:00

I smiled in contentment; eyes squeezed shut in excitement.

Another? So, I was right about the first date.

Theodore Nam was all I had ever dreamed of.

The perfect gentleman: smart, gentle and kind.

His thoughts were filled with amazing ideas and masterful phrases, all wrapped up in a whirlwind of intrigue.

He'd been so helpful with the project.

The conversations at the café still clung to my thoughts and I thought back at how Theodore explained his ideas on the case.

+ * +

"Well, the murderer doesn't seem to act on anger or hatred. I mean, if anything, they look to be loving. Take a look at these bodies, they are in perfect condition."

Theodore had rubbed his chin in thought.
I couldn't help but be impressed at his seriousness.

"I agree," I had nodded, "Revenge doesn't seem to be an option either. I'm guessing the murderer had a close connection with these victims at one point."

The boy had leaned back then, tilting his chin upwards, "Yes. That seems to be a likely theory. I personally believe the murderer has some sort of mental illness. Maybe it's a result of some sort of psychotic fit. Look at how the bodies are preserved too. No fingerprints or tracks? This person knows what they're doing," Theodore had huffed out, fingers skimming over the documents.

I had nodded in agreement once more, shawl discarded aside. Taking a sip of my latte, I hummed softly, "There are similarities too. The first case – Yerin and Wendall – they,"

"They were planning to run away?"

"Yes," I continued cautiously, "they were planning to run away together that night but they were killed. Now, look at the second case, Jackson and Advika. They were lovers too, right? The police even said that Advika was pregnant. Same murder method, one nice stab. No signs of struggle. How is that possible?" I questioned, more to myself, moving to look Theodore in the eye.

I remember my breath hitching then.

I hadn't noticed the close contact between us.

Don't get me wrong. I knew how serious the task at hand was. My heart dropped every time I had to mention someone's name. It was truly – wholly, terrifying.

But despite the whole murder aspect, the date was rather – romantic.

Clearing my throat, I continued on, "My theory is that the culprit committed the murder first before moving the dead bodies to a certain location. This means that the murderer must be fairly strong – or at least have an accomplice of sorts. It's still strange, though. Why move them? Is this an act of love? Aesthetics?"

Theodore had stroked his chin, deep in thought as he analysed all the remaining evidence.

"The third murder is completely different, though. This one's a little messy with bruises on the victims' ankles and blood in her hair."

Sigrid and Jay.

I had talked to them a couple of times.

"Her body was still pretty clean but the murderer didn't wash her hair," I noted, taking a quick glance at Theodore and circling the part of the article with my finger, "They were still in a relationship, though."

I remembered Theodore's smirk.

"Ah, yes. I think we've got the couple pattern," he had whispered, voice raspier than usual.

I had slouched back into the seat then.

+ * +

Now, in the warmth of my cushions and the coldness of night, I thought back to how I'd reacted the entire night.

Working with Theodore was a difficult task.

It left me sick to the core – how I felt pleasure whenever he'd speak. We were dealing with a serious topic – a tragedy – and yet here I was rolling around and sighing like a lovesick middle schooler noticing the school jock across the yard.

I couldn't help it.
Everything. Everything drew me closer to him.

I sighed to myself, reminiscing while I turned around in bed. My hair flowed free around the pillows, loose pyjamas one with the clouds on the sheets.

Theodore was the best thing that had happened to me in a while – aside from Kinsley coming back from work.

"LYS!"

Ah, speak of the devil.

"What is it?" I cooed back in annoyance, turning around.

The man stood at the doorframe; orange mud mask slathered over his face.

As Kinsley once said, the skin is precious.

Kinsley and I had a love-hate relationship.

We shared a unique bond as siblings.

Kinsley Sun followed our father at a young age when our parents separated, leaving me with mom. Although we led very different lives growing up, we still cared for each other as much as we could.

Kinsley Sun did well in his studies.

A great student who advanced quickly through his life, he went on to bigger things and flew internationally for work in business. On the side, he made content on social media, gaining followers all around the world due to his "pretty boy" looks and dazzling glass skin.

Tall, beautiful, intelligent and single.
The ultimate 'bachelor'.

Deep down, he was just my fun older brother.

"Go to sleep!"

Kinsley huffed in annoyance, dark brown eyes looking down on my motionless figure. I wasn't tired but threw my phone to the side of the bed nonetheless.

Sighing in defeat, I waited until Kinsley had closed the door and switched off the light before closing my eyes in bliss.

Despite his constant nagging, I appreciated the care.

Made me feel whole again.

As I laid in the darkness, feeling the cool breeze from the window caress my skin, my dreams drifted to Theodore and his smile.

And I smiled back.