Ten

Alec Volturi was loyal to the Volturi, even if that meant that there was a possibility that he could get hurt in the process

But now, as he stood in the shadows, he felt like Damocles. Except his sword was the overwhelming weight of knowing that he had a mate who he could not protect now.

"What are you doing out here, Alec?" Jane hummed, seemingly coming out of nowhere. If you listen carefully, you would've heard the concern in her usual monotone voice.

"Got tired of watching those scum." He scoffed, referring to the newborn army. "No class, no dignity. Just mindless animals."

"I see." She answered. "Tell me, were you thinking about Carlisle's daughter again?"

"No." He lied, to which she immediately caught on.

"Do you wish to try that again?"

"Ok, fine. I have." He admitted, glaring a her. "What of it?"

"You think about her all the time." She noted. "I've never seen you so obsessed. Infatuated, even. It's somewhat concerning."

"Yeah, well," Alec chuckled, "when you have such a magnificent specimen for a mate, you will be just as 'obsessed' with them as I am with my precious Odette."

"You say 'my precious Odette' as if she is yours."

"She is mine!" Alec hissed, glaring at his sister. "She is my mate, mine!" Unfazed by his outburst, Jane just blinked at him blankly.

"I see." She hummed, keeping her hands folded in front of her. "And tell me, brother, do you think she knows that?" Alec relaxed his facial features, rolling his shoulders back as Jane continued to speak. "Tell me, have you been sending her any more letters? Called her? Visited her?"

"I..."

"Do you think she knows that she is yours?" She scoffed. "You cannot claim something, much less someone, as yours and neglect them entirely brother. Especially women."

"What are trying to say, Jane?"

Feeling something pressed to his chest and the crinkle of paper, he looked down to see a piece of paper and pen shoved into his chest. Taking it quickly, he stared at his twin in confusion. "Write her." She ordered before disappearing into the night.

Looking down at the pen and paper that Jane has shoved into his hands, Alec felt something he hadn't felt in so long.

Nervousness.

***

It was just as the sun began to rise that Alec made his way to Seattle's postal station. He lurked, staring in the shadows as he watched mail trucks be loaded with an assortment of letters and packages. Only when the postal workers stepped away from the truck did Alec dare rush to the open storage.

Staring at the letter one last time, the immortal boy held the envelope in his careful grip. He traced over the cursive spelling off the Cullen's address, smiling at the way he had wrote Odette's beautiful name. He then dropped the white envelope, it immediately blending with all the other bills and letters that were pushed down into the container.

"And I'm just saying Dave," Alec heard the worker's voice get closer, looking to see they just exited the door, "the Packers have a good chance in winning this year."

"Oh you wish!" The so-called Dave snorted, making sure the door was closed behind them. "The Steelers will kick the Greenbay "Slackers" asses any day."

As the two men slowly appeared by the truck, the first man looked inside the large trunk, just to make sure no one had snuck in there. And in the trunk was nothing except letters and packages, which was what he expected as he closed the door.

Alec Volturi watched from the shadows as the mail truck's engine started, the vehicle slowly driving away. The immortal boy sighed, forming his hand into a fist shape before hitting the bricking wall with all of his might. He panted as he stared at the new hole, bricks scattered across the pavement.

"Hello? Is anybody here?" A voice called. Alec turned his head at the source, smiling sadistically as he saw a middle-aged man walk into the alleyway.