Three

"You shouldn't blame yourself you know

"You shouldn't blame yourself you know." Odette said to Jasper. The two blondes were out in the forest, the Cullen siblings taking a day from school. Jasper shook his head and his sister started balancing on a random log. All the southerner could do was hum absentmindedly, making his sister frown. "Jasper, bro, come on now. It's not your fault."

"It is my fault though." He countered, shaking his head. "Hell, I'm an empath and I can't even control my own emotions."

"Jasper, it's ok. I promise."

"Even if Edward is mad at me?"

"Edward is not mad at you." She scoffed, jumping from her spot only to sit next to him. "If he is though, it would be highly insensitive of him."

"How do you and Carlisle do it?" He asked, running a hand through his curly locks. "You two are just... so in control when it comes to human blood."

"It doesn't come without difficulty." She said, putting a hand on his shoulder. "It just took a lot of practice."

"That's what I've been doing though!" He snapped, standing up abruptly.

"And you're doing great!" Odette huffed, following Jasper as he made his way back to the house. "Everyone slips up, it's apart of our diet. You should've seen Edward back in the early days. Went completely rogue once for a whole year!" She then jumped in front of him, making him stop in his tracks. "You're doing fine Jaz, I promise. Ok?" She then smirked playfully, spitting on the ground. "Don't let this eat ya up, par'ner." She added in a faux country accent.

"Yeah, never do that again."

"Oh c'mon, ya don' like the way I talk sir?"

"I'm ignoring you."

"Don't you mean; I'm ignorin' ya?"

He rolled his eyes at his older, but yet more childish, sister's teasing before picking her up and throwing her over his shoulder, jumping up and down. "Stop with the accent!"

"Ok ok!" She said frantically, laughing wildly. "Let me down!"

Chuckling, Jasper added "whatever you say" before throwing her towards a tree. Odette gasped as she recoiled off of it before jumping on the ground safely.

"You're so funny." She said dryly, brushing whatever dirt that was on her off. "Now, I'll race you back to the house. Whoever looses owes the winner a mountain lion."

"You're so on, par'ner."

"You did it!" She cheered, laughing. Jasper just smirked at her before speeding off. "Hey, no fair!" She huffed, going on to try and catch up to him.

•••

"Leaving? What do you mean leaving?"

"What I mean is," Carlisle began, choosing his words carefully, "people have been noticing on how I, we, haven't been aging. There has been some questions."

Carlisle, Odette, and Edward stood in the doctor's private office, breaking the news to Odette that they were planning on leaving Forks.

And Bella.

"That's ridiculous!" Odette snapped, standing from her seat. She looked around at her siblings before her golden eyes landed on the mind reader. "You! We're moving because of you, aren't we?"

"Odette, please-!"

"No!" She interrupted her Father, taking a step towards Edward. "Just because his human girlfriend gets hurt for the second time means we just have to pack up and leave? That's not fair! How did Bella even react Ed? I bet she was heartbroken."

"I... I haven't told her yet."

Odette paused, staring at him before her eyes twitched. "You haven't even told her yet? Oh my..." she trailed off, giving him a look of disbelief.

"This is my choice." Edward hissed, standing from him seat. "I don't need you to approve of my choices."

"What happened that night wasn't anyone's fault, it was purely an accident Ed."

"Well that accident could happen again." He countered, moving to walk past her. "This is the only way I can protect her."

"What about Victoria? That red-head is still after her! I mean, hello! We were the ones who killed her mate so we could save Bella! Leaving would just put Bella in more harm."

"Alice is watching, if she sees Victoria then we'll just come back to deal with her." Edward explained, trying to remain calm.

"Ok, but what about you though?" She faltered a bit. "If you leave Bella, it'll be just as hard on you."

"I will do anything to keep her safe."

"Yeah but-!"

"I will do anything to keep her safe!" He repeated, this time more snappy, as he turned to look at his sister. As the two had a stare-off, Carlisle could only watch in concern.

In a way, both of them were right. But he knew he couldn't say anything without the other getting offended, so he just stayed silent.

Odette was the first to look away, closing her eyes as she shook her head. "Look, you're my brother and I care for you." She then looked back at him. "But I think this is, and excuse my language, the stupidest fucking stunt you've pulled."

"Yeah, well, thanks." He scoffed before speeding away.