Chapter Three - O Captain! My Captain

Yesterday is History,

'Tis so far away –Yesterday is Poetry –

'Tis Philosophy –

Yesterday is mystery –

Where it is Today

While we shrewdly speculate

Flutter both away –

- Yesterday is History, Emily Dickinson

Gansey

Classes were the same as always; a stream of monotonous lectures filled with words first said when Gansey's grandfather was his age, repeated back to them with apathy.

Latin, math, and English, all passed slowly, and by the end of them, each boy carried with them a pile of homework for the next day. The only time their teachers had seemed even slightly happy to be in the room was when they assigned these like the Three Judges determining who goes where in the underworld. 

When the time came for their last lesson of the day, history with Mr Czerny, Gansey felt he'd already been assigned to the Fields of Punishment. He was tired, noexhausted, and had lost whatever fate he had had in the man before ever truly meeting him. 

He sat at the very back of the classroom, the only place Ronan accepted, and watched as the blond man stepped into the room, his combed back hair bouncing lightly as he sauntered past all the seats of students and towards the back door, promptly disappearing from their sight. 

Ronan lifted a brow towards Gansey before letting his focus fall back on biting at his bracelets, a habit Gansey had tried to rid him of to no avail. 

Adam on the other hand glanced back at Gansey from where he sat in the front row, which was a new habit he had developed throughout the day, not knowing, and perhaps not interested enough to get to know anyone else. Every new assignment they were given, every odd thing their teacher did, and his eyes would fly to Gansey's in a shared moment of confusion.

Gansey just shrugged his shoulders in response, nearly jumping out of his seat when Mr Czerny strolled back in through the door and stood right next to him, softly saying, "Well, come on," nodding his head towards the hallway and disappearing once more.

Ronan was the first to get up, not as much caring for obliging their teacher as he was tired of sitting down, while Adam, slightly slower to react, stood up right after him. They gave each other a narrowed-eyed look before stepping out into the hallway, Gansey following behind them.

Mr Czerny stood next to a glass cupboard, balancing on the heels of his foot as students slowly started streaming in. When he was satisfied with the outcome, he straightened his back and gestured widely to the pictures and trophies behind him.

"O Captain! My captain," he began, a light smirk playing on his lips. "Who knows where that comes from? Anybody? Not a clue?" 

Mr Czerny looked out at the twenty or so boys, not irritated or disappointed, but looking almost joyous at their lack of knowledge. "It's from a poem by Walt Whitman about Mr. Abraham Lincon, who I expect you are all very familiar with by now, lest dear mister Mallory got a bit more forgetful in his later years."