Future

A/N:

I'm posting my update early to make up for the single chapter last time. 😁 Also, this chapter and the next contain a bit of 🌶️ but as usual, it's not too elaborate since this is BossNoeul. Just a heads up.

~~~

A few days passed. Noeul is trying not to care or at least, not to make it obvious. But for the second day in a row now, Boss' seat is empty and it's keeping Noeul from focusing on today's lecture.

You're a coward, Chaikamon. He remembers saying. Did he go too far? Or is he right after all? Because why won't Boss just talk to him instead of avoiding him.

Noeul sighs, giving up. No matter how he thinks of it, he can't figure out the reason.

The festival is today and so, contrary to Noeul's dampened mood, it's festive all around them with people inviting them to visit their booths later. Just a few days prior, Noeul looked forward to this and also, pictured himself going to some booths with Boss and enjoying the evening concert together.

Funny how quickly things change. And now, this festival will have to serve as a distraction for Noeul so he doesn't feel the emptiness too much. He makes sure to busy himself, helping out different clubs as soon as classes are over.

"Then, I'll go help out with you." Peat says but at this, Noeul pouts cutely and tells him, "Peat, this event is for everyone but the activities are mostly for couples. I want you to go and enjoy this with Fort."

"How am I supposed to-"

Noeul takes his hand and assures him, "I'm fine. I'll feel worse if we both miss out and besides, what good will two of us moping do? Go on." He insists and Peat surrenders, thinking maybe Noeul needs some space from him too.

"Okay but promise to call me if there's anything." He makes a stern face to which Noeul smiles and nods his head. "Promise."

By late afternoon, the festival is in full swing and Noeul is practically beat, not to the point that he might get sick but just enough to keep his mind off of things for sometime.

The skies are a deep purple now with hints of pinks and orange. It's beautiful and with the lights hanging all around the area, it'll be even prettier once the night rolls in. At a distance, Noeul sees that the band is getting ready, doing sound checks and bringing their instruments up on stage. And there's already a crowd forming even before they start their set.

It's so nice and yet, Noeul can't help but feel bitter especially now that the rush is over and he has all this time to himself—by himself.

He wonders what Boss is doing right now and if...he's thinking of him too.

~~~

Boss has been sick and not just because he's been feeling sick to his stomach what with everything that's happened. But he's actually sick. Since yesterday, he'd been running a fever and now, he has chills too. 

Maybe, finally, his emotional and mental fatigue has manifested into a physical sickness. But who knows? Maybe he just doesn't have enough motivation to get up and go to school or even just to take a pill downstairs so he can feel better already.

From his bed, he sees the encircled date on his desk calendar. The festival is today—tonight to be exact. And he remembers how Noeul couldn't stop rambling about it all week and even before school officially resumed.

He knows it's important to Noeul especially since he's probably never experienced anything like it. Boss just had to go and make a mess right before the event and he's worried Noeul isn't even enjoying himself.