Existing And Living

Author's note: TRIGGER WARNING, this chapter contains implied suicide attempt. Although it isn't described in detail, I still put this warning in place to make sure you are aware of what lies ahead.

~~~

"Noeul!"

When Boss hears Peat's distressed cry, somehow his heart sinks even before he turns around. But even more so when he sees Noeul on the ground, unconscious.

And just for a split second, it was as if he saw Ple instead of Noeul, lying on the concrete after getting hit by a car and having no one by her side in that moment. But he quickly shakes it off and is running before he even thought of doing so.

He and Fort reach Noeul's side shortly after Peat and he asks him breathlessly, "What happened? W-what's wrong with him?"

But Peat is in no condition to answer as he's currently and panically dialing the emergency hotline. When the line picks up, he doesn't even let the operator finish speaking and just blurts into the phone, "Send an ambulance, please. Hurry!"

Boss and Fort are just as startled and worried yet they can't help but be puzzled by his reaction and the fact that this doesn't seem to be the first time this has happened, given Peat's quick response.

Medics arrive in no time and the three boys are asked to step away. They quickly note Noeul's vitals then ask the one responsible for the call, "Would you happen to know if he has a condition or medical history that may have caused this?"

And at this, the crying mess of a boy who is Peat replies albeit a very brief moment of hesitation, "He...he had a heart transplant just last year."

Boss' head snaps up to Peat, his face showing his shock and disbelief. Then he looks back down at Noeul as he's strapped onto a stretcher and Boss feels an even greater fear than what he felt just seconds ago.

Peat sniffles and sobs, overwhelmed with emotion. He knows Noeul wouldn't have wanted any of their schoolmates to know, let alone Boss. But now isn't really the time to be secretive; it could cause Noeul his life.

Peat rides with the medics to the hospital. Meanwhile, Boss quickly retrieves his motorcycle from the ground floor parking and gets ready to follow. But Fort who is just behind him pipes up then, "Wait, lemme go with you."

Boss doesn't know why he seems desperate to come along but he doesn't waste time asking questions and just gestures to Fort to put on the extra helmet. Soon, they catch up to the ambulance and shortly after, arrive at a large private hospital where Noeul's attending physician, Dr. Korn, is already waiting at the emergency entrance.

Boss, Fort and Peat are kept from entering the area where Noeul will receive initial treatment. And now, unfortunately, all they can do is wait.

~~~

Moments later, Boss briefly steps out to fetch a bottle of water from the vending machine. He doesn't let it show in front of the others but once he's alone, he takes deep breaths, trying to calm himself down.

The last time he was in an emergency room, he was too late. Ple was gone and he never even got to see her; he doesn't really know if he would've had the courage anyway given the chance.

Now that he's learning about Noeul's condition, he's not sure how he feels about it. He knows it isn't Noeul's fault but he can't help but feel anxious. If Noeul truly had a transplant and his body is rather weak and fragile, then wouldn't he be setting himself up for another heartbreak?

Boss forces himself not to think that way and downs half the contents of his water bottle. He leans back on the wall for support as he feels his knees get weak and as he wipes his lips with the back of his hand, he clenches his jaw, thinking what a fucking sadist his fate is.