Chapter 4

Carter heaved as he collapsed onto the floor. His unit were taking heavy fire and they needed an escape, "We can't hold them off." He spoke to Sergeant who nodded his head, "I know Ruiz." He panted, "Someone needs to take the blow so you can all get out of here." Sergeant Wood looked around at his team, "I will do it, you all need to get out of here." He signal led and Carter shook his head, "No way. You're going home Serge!" Carter yelled before standing up, shooting without any aim, hoping he would hit someone, "You need to go home to your boy." Carter spoke, "We can't get out of here without you!" Carter yelled and Sergeant Wood shook his head, "You can, you have been with me for five years. I have watched you grow; you are more than capable of taking my place." Sergeant Wood stood up, firing just like Carter.

He crouched back down, "They are waiting for you at the pickup point, I need you to get them all to safety." Carter looked around at his team and looked at Corporal Lance who gently nodded his head, "Okay." Carter spoke. Carter motioned his head for everyone to get ready, "On my command, you all exit at the back door. Head straight for the pickup point, don't wait for anyone. You must go. Once you get there, make sure you are all on the helicopter and get out of here." He ordered and all of them nodded his head, "Ready?" Carter looked at Corporal Lance, "Go!" Carter moved like he was going to run out the door but instead he turned around and started shooting with his Sergeant.

Once he knew all of them were out of the building he crouched back down, "We have to go!" He shouted at his Sergeant who stood up and continued shooting. Carter watched as his Sergeant got shot in the chest twice. Sergeant Wood fell to the floor gasping for air. Carter grabbed him by the shoulders of his bullet proof vest and began to drag him out of the room. He fired as quickly as he could. Once he was to some sort of safety, he threw Harrison over his shoulder and ran as fast as he could. He saw the helicopter appear as he turned the corner and the rest of the team starting to shout and shoot as he approached. He kept his head down and ran quickly, throwing Sergeant Wood onto the floor of the helicopter, "Go!" Carter shouted as he jumped in. He turned quickly, joining in with his team shooting at the enemy approaching.

Carter marched up to the car and stopped right where he needed to be. "Lift!" He heard the captain yell from behind him. The coffin slowly left the Hurst and he watched as his team lowered themselves, "Go." Carter spoke and the six of them lifted the coffin. Carter kept his head high as he carried the coffin down the walkway and into the church. They lifted the coffin past everyone and placed the coffin down on the holder. Carter turned quickly and his eyes catching those of Sergeant Woods wife, she gave him a small smile and Carter gently nodded his head. 

Carter endured the funeral and as they were to lay Sergeant Wood into his resting place, they removed the flag of America. Carter held it out for Captain Turner who slowly shook his head, "He would have wanted you to do it." Carter nodded his head gently before walking over to Sergeant Woods family. He stood in front of his wife who wiped her eyes gently, "I am sorry for your loss." Carter spoke as he handed over the flag. She let out a cry before hugging Carter tightly. Carter wrapped his arms around her and held her as long as she needed him. She pulled away, wiping at her tears before handing the flag down to her son.

Carter turned, heading back to his position. Carter saluted the coffin as it slowly descended into the ground. Gunshots rang out as his wife and son threw a rose on top. Mud was thrown on top of the coffin and slowly it disappeared.

"I never expected him to be lying here with everyone." Carter spoke as he looked down at the headstone, "He was there from the very beginning, I don't know what I will do without him." Carter wiped a tear that had fell from his eye, "Are you going back?" Jane asked as she held his hand tightly, "I'm not sure, they have put me to see a psychiatrist as I am having reoccurring nightmares and they don't think it is safe for anyone for me to go back. We were due to have six months off after the mission anyway." Carter explained as he shifted on his feet slightly, "And how are you doing?" Jane asked gently.