~ Promises ~

"Bittu.."

He heard someone call his nick name a few times. How is that possible No one called him that apart from..

"Bittu.." he heard it again, he looked at Annu, she was in deep slumber, donning his clothes, he went out on the patio. And he saw her. As resplendent as ever, as graceful as ever, in her usual classy brocade saree, hair tied in a loose bun at the nape, hands adorning the diamond bangles Paa had gifted her on their anniversary, her nuptial chain similar to what Annu wore now, shone bright in the moonlight.

"Maa.." she embraced him in her arms.

"My Bittu!" He broke down. It had been another lifetime since she called him that. Only his maa had the authority to call his nick name. He would get angry even with his dad for using this endearment.

Gayatri Kapadia wiped her son's tears. "Since when did you become so emotional Bittu? My son is the strongest of all." She patted his head lovingly. Made him sit on the sofa nearby. Held his hands in hers.

"I am not strong at all Maa.. this is all a facade.. bilkul nahi hu Maa, bilkul bhi nahi hu strong" he sobbed.

She wiped his tears, "bas bas bas.. kitna royega bachche?"

"I miss you Maa, I miss you so much.." he looked around while crying some more, "Dad kaha hain?"

"Kyu, main aayi hu milne woh kaafi nahi? Dad nu chamcho!" She teased.

Anuj smiled through his tears, "Aise kuch nahi Maa. But aap dono hamesha saath hote ho na.. mujhe chhodke bhi toh saath hi gaye the na.." he complained.

Gayatri pressed his hands, "I am sorry Bittu.."

"I am sorry too Maa, maine uss din zidd na ki hoti toh aaj aap dono mere saath hote. I am so sorry." He hung his head down and cried.

"No beta, aise nahi bolte..we cannot change our destiny. Did you know if the accident would happen that day? Tell me?"

He nodded a no.

"See, if you had no idea, then how are you responsible for that accident. You have to let go of this guilt Anuj."

He looked up, his mother would call him by his actual name only when she wanted to make him understand something or was angry.

"Come on Bittu, Anu will think kaisi Saas hain, uske Pati ko honeymoon pe rulaa rahi hain."

He giggled in between his tears, "MOM!"

"That's like my Bittu, you look so good when smiling. By the way, congratulations son. Finally Anupama is Kapadia khandaan ki bahu!"

"Yes.. finally Maa.." he put his head in her lap, but started to get up the next moment, "Let me wake her, aap aashirwaad doge na meri Annu ko? She will be so happy to meet you!"

"My blessings are always with you kids.We will meet some day for sure. Today it's mother-son time. Chaalse?" He nodded a yes.

"I miss you so much Maa."

Gayatri caressed his head lovingly. "We miss you too. Somethings are not in out hands. Maybe not physically but we are and we will always be connected by the heart."

"Maa don't stop na," he looked up to complain when she stopped caressing his head.

"My clingy baby!" She smiled.