~ Let's Start Over Again ~

Anu sat by her favorite bay window in their bedroom. Silently watched the waves crash at the sea shore. Dim lights that glowed around the resort, made the waves visible in the overall darkness around.. Anuj looked on. He knew she was disturbed.

Once they reached their villa earlier, they had freshened up, changed into formals. Anu in a beautiful georgette saree, Anuj in his tux. Devika had scheduled the press conference at 8pm. A video clip was to be recorded before that.

Soon the reporters were sent the said video clip. Mrs Anupamaa Kapadia was a vision to behold while she talked firmly about not having any relation with the Shah family, Sr. Mr and Mrs Shah anymore. Yes her kids stayed with their father in that house and of course she would meet her kids. But it was necessary for everyone to know she had no relation whatsoever with other Shahs.

Why this sudden disassociation when she had lived with her ex-in-laws before her second marriage. One of the journalists had asked the first question when the interview conference started.

Anuj sensed her uncomfortable form, he held her hand in reassurance.

Taking a deep breath, "Ji, main waha rehti thi, kyuke talaaq ke baad, Bapuji ne mujhe apni beti banaya tha, unki ichha thi main wahi rahu. Uss waqt main khud nahi jaanti thi ke yeh sahi hain ya galat. Shayad darr gayi thi ekdum se naya jeevan akele shuru karne ke liye."

"26 saal jis ghar ke andar rahi, mere... ex-pati ne chahe jaise bhi bartaav kiya, woh ghar mera suraksha kawach tha. Toh darr gayi thi. Ab sochti hu toh lagta hain meri sabse badi galti yahi thi, talaaq ke baad bhi waha rehna. Jo hua, woh badal toh nahi sakti. Rahi baat yeh, dis.. disassociation ki, waha kuch logo ko lagta hain mere ya mere Pati, Anuj ki wajah se unki badnaami ho sakti hain. Main nahi chahti, humari wajah se kisiko, kisi bhi baat se takleef ho."

Looking at Anuj, smiling, she tightened her hold in his hand, "Anuuj aur maine, ek dusre ko bahot mushkilo ke baad paya hain. Hum chahte hain humare iss naye safar mein kisi bhi baat ki kadwaahat na ho."

She firmly refused to give details of her previous marriage or any names as to who felt so when asked.

How could she be cordial with the ex family she was asked. Anu had immense respect for the Shah elders she said. Her kids were living with them as well. She had forgiven her ex for herself and not for anyone else. As holding grudges would only hamper her growth she had felt.

Cutting off ties with kids or elders completely was never a question. But if her being happy in her new life was causing stress for some, it was time to draw boundaries now. Emotionally and physically, both, she replied.

They had ended the conference with an appeal by both Anu and Anuj, for not putting the Shahs in bad light, just print about the disassociation and nothing else.

Anu had texted all her kids individually to prepare them of the outcome of the interview she had given. There might rise an uproar in Amdavaad, Shah house and the neighbourhood. She was sorry they had to face it. But hoped they understand that she cannot let her past life or Baa ruin her marital life ahead.

By the time everything was wrapped, Anu felt like a load of weight had been lifted off her shoulders. Yet, talking about her earlier life had left her melancholic. A quick, almost silent dinner later, she asked Anuj to give her a few minutes of alone time. Sitting by the window, listening to the waves.. her body had slumped in tiredness. Every traumatic incident rushed past through her mind.

Anuj looked at his Annu from afar. In a mere 2 hours, she looked like life had been sucked out of her. He couldn't fathom the kind of trauma she must have gone through in real when just mere talking about it had her this worn out. They had never discussed the actual traumatic events of the past she had faced as Mrs Shah.