Fight for what we want

Start from the beginning

I was paired with Carter and another boy named Jason. He was slightly older than us, but he looked in good shape. His hair was ash blonde and his hairless face baby like, but he was strong. I hadn't seen him a lot at the school, but Matt had.

We took the left side of the park. There was multiple stalls spread across the overgrown greenery, a Ferris wheel at the far end of the gate and a small kids rollercoaster. Id only been to a theme park a few times when we were younger, some with Melanie and Ash, the other once before Kyle was born. I don't remember much apart from my father winning me a huge teddy on the shooting stall, but I shook it from my memory. When I finally came back to focus Carter was staring at me as if he could see through my thoughts.

"Get down" Jason whispered to us, pulling his machete to his chest and he crouched behind one of the stalls "Five prowlers to our right, behind the Ferris wheel".

"We can draw them out slowly, take them one by one" My head poked around the stall as I whispered, they weren't too close so it shouldn't be too hard.

Carter checked and nodded his head "How are we doing this" The boys both looked to me.

"You two take out the side and ill jump through the stall and take out the middle".

"That's smart" Jason sent me a cheesy grin which didn't go a miss from Carter who was glaring daggers through the back of his head, I had to stifle a laugh.

The boys went first sneaking around the back of the corpses while I crept forward slowly, swinging my legs over the wooden counter of the stall. Carter took out two from the side, sliding his blade through their skulls with a crunch while Jason took another.

I banged my knife against the pallet attracting the last two, their arms reached through the small window as they tried to reach me. But before they got close enough, I held my two knives up and ended their lives simultaneously.

Our side was clear of dead, and the walls were intact, we all smiled to each other as the plan was working. But that was until we heard gunshots firing on the opposite side of the park, we all agreed to only shoot if necessary, so this means shit went bad.

We all ran dodging through the scattered stalls, our feet moving faster as the gunshots grew louder. We didn't know what we would be walking into, but we had to help. When we found them they were surrounded the dead, Matt and two other men were climbing up the metal bars of a rollercoaster, below them was a sea of monsters all reaching their claws up to them.

We stood frozen, my mind reeling on how to get my uncle to safety without getting killed in the process.

"We draw them out" I looked towards the boys; Jason looked like he was about to spew, while Carters glare was on me, a fierce look in his eyes. As much as he wouldn't admit it he cared for my uncle, they stayed together while I was awol for two months so they must have grew a slight bond.

"We can get their attention and draw them out of the gates, take them down one by one. The others can climb down and hit them from the back" The handsome boy added with a nod from me and Jason.

"Over here fuckers" I screamed as loud as my lungs would allow. Matt looked pale and tried to shake his head, but I smiled.

Their piercing lifeless eyes turned to us in an instant, tainted bodies slowly making their way to us as we crept backwards. The less decomposed ones were faster, taking lead ahead of the bodies rotting away.

"This way assholes" Carter added, ending the life of one that grew too close, his body nearing mine as we walked backwards.

We did this until we reached the gates, slowly luring them from our future home. But just as we made it to the entrance, my foot rolled against an empty can knocking the balance from beneath me. My ankle hit the solid concrete as I hissed in pain, I tried to stand as the dead grew closer, but the pain rocketed through the bones in my leg.

"Can you walk" Carter was at my side in an instant, his palms rolling up the hem of my jeans. The moment his hand pushed pressure against my ankle I cried in pain.

"They are getting closer" Jason yelled as he took a few more corpses out.

"Just go" I looked into the caramel eyes I adored; I wouldn't let him die for me.

He laughed; we were about to get ripped to pieces and he was smiling. "You are still an idiot if you think I'm leaving you" he shook his head still chuckling, but he wrapped an arm around my back and pulled me to his side "Now let's get you out of here".

We made it through the gate with Carter practically carrying my whole weight, I hated feeling useless but the warmth of his skin against mine was like fire. I hadn't felt it for so long and now I was craving it, so I let him carry me all while I was staring at his determined face.

Jason slammed the gates shut, locking the dead inside "We can take them out through the fence" I nodded at Carter to let me stand and he looked weary but did as I said. I was unbalanced as I tried to keep the weight of my foot while I put down dead through the metal poles. Sweat was coating our bodies when we were done, our huffs coming in fast and hard. The bodies of monsters scattered across the concrete as Matt and the others walked between them.

Matt hugged me first as I winced, while Carter watched on the sidelines. "We did it" our group smiled.

My uncle had told us one of the fences had a few posts missing and that's how the dead got in, but the boys managed to barricade it while we were taking the dead out.

After months of fighting and running we finally had a place. A home.

Edited