Chapter Sixteen-You and Me

Has anyone tapped out of this book yet? The replies tell me yes
...

*****

"Argos, I have a system here," I say. The multi-eyed man still keeps hold of the stack of boxes full of masks.

"That doesn't mean you can't put some of your masks in the attic. Besides, it looks like you can barely breathe in there!" Argos replies.

I can't breathe.

As soon as he turns his back on me, I place my hand around my throat. I don't choke myself. I just let it sit there until he looks at me again.

"It's not like you really care anyway," I mutter.

"What?"

"You both are just here for Molly, why would you even acknowledge my existence?"

Argos stares at me, seemingly detached from whatever he was before I said that.

"Mr. Plant. He said that someone else he cares about-Molly-is in danger," he says. "It started with just watching her, and then he saw you and your parents. He hasn't even thought about what's going to happen after this, Alice. He started caring about you too, you know, but he'll never admit it."

"So you're just being dragged along in all this?"

"Basically, yeah. I just wish Mr. Plant would tell me who or what to look out for."

I keep my eyes to the floor. Why the hell have they not told me?

We couldn't.

I turn my head. Mr. Plant is right behind me. He stares right at me, that regular old smile on his face. I turn my head back to the floor.

They are some scary people, I tell you.

Where the heck are you going?

I don't realize I'm almost right out of the front door. I don't know where I'm going. Maybe this is fine! I could go somewhere and clear my head!

"Alice-"

I slam the door in Argos's face and run off. Why should I let him talk to me?

Alice, no.

Ignore my thoughts.

Alice, no.

Ignore my thoughts.

Alice, no.

I walk down the sidewalk. Whose voice is that?

Alice...

...no.

Then I don't hear it anymore. Who is that?

I walk straight to a crosswalk and look both ways before I walk. I keep my head down, walking as slow or as fast to my liking. Besides, it's not like a car is gonna-

"Kid, look out!"

I look up and see a man pointing at a large truck two feet away from me. I'm frozen. I can't even move if I want to. Or if I try.

CRASH!

***

Three days earlier...

Molly has finally woken up. Usually, Mom goes into her room to get her up if it's been a couple hours. But she didn't. Molly woke up an hour and a half after the regular time. And, after that, Molly's been acting off.

We couldn't see Argos or Mr. Plant for two and a half hours. Yeah, it's been an okay two and a half hours, but Molly knows that it would be so much better if they were here. Argos with his weird dependence to store-bought cookies and Mr. Plant being-well-Mr. Plant.

"When can we see them?" Molly asks. I just shrug as I give Josh his present. Mom and Josh don't question for a moment what we're talking about, probably because they can't hear it.

As soon as the gift-giving and gift-unwrapping was over, Molly and I immediately went to my room where we told Argos and Mr. Plant to stay in until we told them it was okay. Mom and Josh won't be in the living room; they'll both be making lunch and dinner in the kitchen.

Besides, we don't need to leave my room to have fun.

"How was it?" Argos asks.

"Mostly, we were just talking," I reply. I catch a glimpse of a calendar. Why is the 28th circled? Who circled the 28th?

December 28, 2025

*****

Word Count: 659