Chapter 70: The Apprentice

Start from the beginning

Before Astra can respond, Zora does so for them. "Goo', Papa!"

Din chuckles, a warm sound that makes Astra's smile grow even more. "Thank you, Zozo." He starts to pull the starfighter up. "Here we go."

Astra watches Zora's eyes widen in wonder as they return to the rough atmosphere of Mandalore. She isn't as relieved to be leaving this time as she was before, even though she's more than ready to start the new chapter they've been waiting so many years for. Mandalore is no longer a place to be feared; Though many bad things have happened to them here, she's proud of the work they've done.

Astra is so endlessly proud of the man she married for doing everything he can to honor his word. She can't wait to tell him that and so much more when she marries him again.

"Mama?" Zora's sweet voice pulls Astra from her wandering thoughts. She glances at her daughter, whose brown eyes have shifted from the transparisteel around them to her mother's gaze. Astra melts at the way they resemble Din's own, with the stars creating flecks of gold that shine bright with an inexplicable love. "Luh' 'oo, Mama."

Astra beams and cups the side of Zora's tiny face with her hand. "I love you too, Zora." She places a kiss on her daughter's forehead before letting her wrap her tiny arms around her neck. Astra buries her face in Zora's curls and exhales a soft breath. "More than you'll ever know."

Zora's voice is quieter and muffled when she speaks again. "Papa luh' Mama."

Astra releases a gentle laugh and brushes her hand over Zora's head. "I know." Astra lifts her head and watches Din point something out to Grogu on the scope before they jump into hyperspace. "I love him, too."

"Are you two talking about me back there?" Din's voice is full of amusement, something that not even the crackling of the comms can hide from Astra.

"Yes we are," Astra confirms. "All bad things."

"No!" Zora protests. "Luh' Papa, Mama! 'Oo luh' Papa!"

"Is this true, cyar'ika?"

Astra lets out a dramatic sigh and raises her brow at Zora. "You really had to tell on me, didn't you, Zora?"

Zora furrows her brow at Astra. "Luh' Papa. 'N' Papa," she pauses, pointing at Din through the transparisteel, "luh'," Zora taps Astra's cuirass, "Mama." Zora brings her hand to Astra's cheek.

Din's soft laughter through the comms is infectious. "Looks like all our secrets are getting aired out."

Zora, still rocked with confusion, lets out a pitiful whimper. "Papa?"

Din glances back at them as best as he can. "I'm sorry, Zozo," he apologizes sincerely. "Mama and I are just joking, that's all."

"Papa's right," Astra agrees. "We both love you and each other very much."

Zora's brow starts to relax, but she's still unsure. "Gogu?"

"Of course we love Grogu, too."

Grogu babbles through the comms, letting Zora know he's heard Astra's words. Zora allows herself to smile at that, her excited breaths returning as she sets a hand over the transparisteel. "Papa, Papa!" She adds one more word that makes Astra close her eyes in sweet disbelief. "Home!"

It takes a long moment for Din to respond. When he does, his voice is strained with pure, overwhelming joy. "Almost, baby girl. Just one more stop."

Din's words make Astra's stomach erupt with butterflies. They're on their way home, with just one more stop left to go. Astra holds Zora close and keeps her eyes shut, hoping to get at least a quick wink of sleep to make the trip go by even faster—but she's too excited to do so, like a child on their Life Cycle.