Chapter 70: The Apprentice

Start from the beginning

"He must remain a foundling," the Armorer insists.

Din's visor pans over to the Armorer in deep thought. He considers his words for a long moment, causing Astra to hold her breath as she waits for him to speak. "If his parents gave permission," Din gives Astra a quick look, "couldn't he then become a Mandalorian apprentice?"

"Yes." Astra's chest flares with hope at that. "But his parents are far from here, if they are even alive."

Din looks at Grogu once again. Astra does the same, and she almost wishes she hadn't when she watches the dejected way Grogu receives the Armorer's truth. Din steadies himself with a careful breath and nods.

He speaks with as much certainty as Astra's ever heard from him. "Then we will adopt him as our own."

Grogu babbles in delight, his ears rising as high as they possibly can on his head. Astra's smile is tearful in her joy as the Armorer's visor finds her. Astra nods to agree with Din, and the Armorer turns back to face Din. "This is the Way." Astra's never heard her utter the words with such joy before.

"This is the Way," Din repeats, his voice strained with the same emotions Astra's experiencing. She lets him speak for the both of them, knowing her voice will fail her should she try to speak.

The Armorer turns to face the gathered Mandalorians. "Let it be written in Song that Din Djarin and Astra Djarin are accepting this foundling as their son."

Din's visor finds Astra's gaze for a moment. She shakes her head at him in disbelief, her smile growing as he tilts his helmet at her. Grogu has been their son ever since the moment they first devoted themselves to one another, but at long last, it's official.

The Armorer faces Grogu and goes on. "You are now Din Grogu, Mandalorian apprentice." Astra's joy bubbles over with a soft chuckle. As if I didn't have enough Dins to worry about.

"This is the Way," the Mandalorians chorus.

The Armorer turns back to Din. "You must leave Mandalore and take your apprentice on his journeys, just as your teacher did for you."

Astra's swept over with a wave of relief upon her words. She wasn't sure how the Armorer would take the news of them staying on Nevarro, but as it turns out, it's the perfect arrangement for their family. Astra also smiles at the mention of Din's mentor. He's told her plenty of stories about his mentor from his Mandalorian upbringing.

"This is the Way." Din's response to the Armorer is even more emotional than before. Astra can sense the same relief she felt before washing over him now. For the first time since they met, they're on a set path with no immediate dangers. It's simply them and their home on Nevarro. At long last.

Din picks Grogu up and holds him even closer than he had before. Astra waits for them to join her, and this time, it's Din who reaches for her hand. She smiles and rests her head against his arm, her entire being filled with unprecedented content and love. Grogu is officially their son, and he's Din's apprentice. He's earned a piece of their family's name, and now, they've done everything they set out to accomplish.

The Djarins are finally going home.

After one last stop, Din reminds Astra as they hop inside the N-1. Another Mandalorian had brought the ship for them with the rest of the fleet, and returning to it is already reminiscent of home. Their family bids farewell to Bo-Katan before getting in the ship, along with a promise to return for visits. It's the first time Astra's embraced their ally, and given everything they've been through together, there's no doubt it won't be her last.

"All right," Din catches Astra's attention through the comms. The engine of the N-1 roars to life in a sound so familiar it makes Astra smile. "Are you ready to go back there?"