Vervain and Bryonia

Start from the beginning

''Huh? What?'' She looked rather outraged, as if her jaw was going to hit the floor. You kept quiet, just trying to understand what was really going on in that place. ''But Scarlet is ill, that's why she didn't want to come, right? Miss (Y/N) is reliable and very skilled.''

Everything was very confusing. What was the point of that dinner anyway? Why had that strange man told you about this place? For that matter, why on earth did he look so much like the president himself? Maybe they were twins? But there were more of them, you'd seen. There can't be that many twins in the world. So what the hell was going on?

"Yes, but I don't see the need to hire your services.'' This time, he said to you. "My wife isn't ill, it's just a sudden sickness, maybe it's nerves because I've been working so much. Besides... I don't think this is the right time to discuss business.''

You didn't pay any more attention to what Donibristle was saying, you just looked for the most appropriate opportunity to isolate yourself with a glass of champagne after long minutes of boring and pointless conversation.

The president said that his wife wasn't ill, but Donibristle said that he didn't allow visitors to prevent anything from spreading. You already knew that the first lady was actually Lucy Steel. But has he already discovered this and is holding her captive? Or is Lucy really ill? Or is Lucy choosing to play in the shadows, away from social events like that to avoid suspicion?

One thing was certain: you wouldn't find out at that dinner.

"But didn't you say Scarlet was ill? A contagious disease, even.'' Donibristle continued to speak, and you felt a twinge of fear as you saw the impatience emerge from the president's eyes.

"Again, I see no need to hire the services of a healer, nor do I see any need to discuss this when I should be receiving my guests.'' He politely repeated, now louder and clearer.

"You don't have to hire me.'' Finally, you decided to play your card. ''I do my services for free for those who need help, that's how I work at Steel Ball Run and that's how I've saved many lives. If you're not interested in my treatment, then at least accept a diagnosis. I'm one of the few healers who doesn't worry about working with contagious diseases. What do you say?''

The twinkle in Donibristle's eyes indicated that you had made the perfect choice of words and, although you weren't very comfortable with her clear motivation behind this conversation, you were grateful for the help she provided.

Looking at the president's expressionless face, you wondered exactly what was occupying his thoughts. It certainly wasn't his wife's health; you realized that Valentine's approach was obstinate and cautious, but he used the same typical political maneuvers over and over again. His accessibility as a public figure made everything a little easier for you. The fingers of Valentine's right hand moved slightly against his thigh, a brief twitch of impatience soon disguised, and you realized that, whatever he was thinking, it wasn't about maintaining friendly relations with you. That look already made it clear that he knew your connections very well. He had you in the palm of his hand, but his political contacts with Donibristle's husband left him at a slight disadvantage that night.

Madame Donibristle was standing next to you. You saw her dark little eyes fix on you, then turn away quickly. The president then paused thoughtfully for a moment, examining options for answers, then gave a sly sigh.

"A very generous offer. Your honor is admirable, Miss (Y/N).'' He finally said. "I think it's fair to say that I'll consider your offer and send one of my men to keep you informed tomorrow.''

Today you've come to believe it was a big mistake to keep traveling all the way east to Philadephia at this point, instead of sneaking across the Mexican border again while nothing was still very clear, staying out of intrigue, danger and sight for the next few years in the subtropical haze until you could marry safely or die trying. Well, you'd have to confess that, depending on the condition of your mind, you could go from one pole of insanity to the other in a single day - from the idea that you were eternally linked to that corpse and this cursed government.