Caribbean Rum

Shaken by a violent tremor, you remained alone in the house. You made sure Johnny's and Gyro's horses were calm and safe and attended to your aches and pains by chewing on a bitter and burning herbal mixture. A coolness flooded your body and most of the pain was gone immediately, as was the frenzy in your head. You were now in better condition to ride.

Cursing excessively and silently, you stroked Cadichon and took to leaving your wagon behind for a moment until got where you were going. You didn't know what attracted you to that hill, you just had a feeling that something was leading you to that place. You had the exact image of a certain indistinguishable patch of gray sand in your mind.

You were jolted out of your thoughts when you heard some cans fall as if something had knocked them over. You thought it was a mouse, but you couldn't be careless. With a single movement, picked up your carbine and went to check for the sound.

The confusion outside had stopped a few minutes ago. Somehow you knew that Gyro and Johnny had managed to escape, but Diego was chasing them. You knew there should be no one left but you and the horses. The animal footsteps were quiet enough not to sound like those of a dinosaur, but loud enough not to sound like those of a mouse. The creature's shape disappeared behind one of the crates and you kicked it, hoping to scare the animal away.

In fact, it wasn't a mouse that attacked you. In shock, you fell to the ground and let out a few short screams, so the little dinosaur took control of the situation and tried to bite you violently. While one hand held the animal back and protected you from the bites, the other held your weapon. The little dinosaur was too close for you to shoot with your gun - and deep down you knew that even in this situation you wouldn't be able to kill an animal - so you just had to hit it with the butt of the gun.

It fell weakly to the side, still intent on attacking you.

''I don't want to have to kill you, you little shit!'' You gasped, standing up and kicking it away from you as it tried to bite you.

So Diego wasn't the only dinosaur? But what bad news.

To keep the animal from attacking you, you grabbed it by the neck so it couldn't bite or scratch you with its short paws and locked it in a crate next to your wagon, throwing a pile of heavy objects on top.

''You're lucky I didn't shoot you, but you're going to have to stay there!'' You said as the creature screeched fiercely.

In such a situation, time was short. You grabbed your bag, threw your carbine over your back, deftly mounted Cadichon, and ran at full gallop to the canyon.

On the other side of the canyon, you saw a legion of other dinosaurs and Diego climbing up the rock wall, grunting horribly. You can't help but startle in surprise at the sight of the scene and wonder where so many dinosaurs came from. Gyro and Johnny weren't there.

Before the great chasm that divided the canyon, you stopped Cadichon. You were sure this was the shortcut the two men had taken because of the uneven footprints on the other side. You walked back a few feet and stroked the mule's neck.

''Cadichon, do you see this hole? We have to jump over it.'' You muttered, hearing the animal's panting. The dinosaurs were far away, but Cadichon saw them, and the looming presence of so many predators scared her. ''You're smarter than Gyro and Johnny, and you can jump higher than those stupid dinosaurs, you hear me? Let's lean on the rock on the wall to reach the other side.''

As you petted the mule, it calmed down. Cadichon was a unique animal. Strong and big as a horse, but smart and practical as a mule should be. She was the perfect companion for you.