Red Vines

The few hours of sleep you had weren't put to good use because you couldn't sleep. It was still dark, but the stars and the moon seemed to have disappeared. You snuggled into the warm blanket that lay on the roof of your wagon. You tossed and turned all night, looking for a good sleeping position and failing miserably.

You had killed someone. There was no way to sleep. The image of that moment replayed in your mind in an endless loop. Then you heard the crackling of the fire grow stronger as if new flames were rising from the embers. You slowly stood up and peered over the three men seeing the Gyro's figure sitting in front of the fire. It wasn't yet light, there was no reason for him to get up so early.

''Sleepless?'' You asked in a hoarse voice. He stood with his back to you and didn't answer.

You snorted and smiled faintly, not knowing why. Maybe knowing that Gyro was awake helped you emerge from the gray shroud that covered you with earlier memories. Nimbly you climbed down from the wagon, stretched, and yawned, feeling like you could pass out right there.

You rummaged around in your wagon, drank a glass of water, and felt a slight twinge of guilt for being so rude to Gyro. Of course, he was a jerk, but he was also kinda interesting. The same questions Johnny had asked him a few hours ago came back to your mind and for a moment you felt the same curiosity. He was a fascinating guy and you were already calm enough to walk over to him and offer a glass of water without asking if he wanted it.

It was interesting to look at him when he seemed distracted. You liked his profile, it was very distinctive and even symmetrical. He was quite tall, and would you dare say he was as good-looking as Johnny. You were startled and came back to reality when he stared at you with a less cold expression than before. He sighed and accepted the glass of water you didn't even remember offering him.

You sat down in front of the fire, a fair distance from Gyro, and watched as Johnny and Mountain Tim slept soundly in their blankets. A few valerian leaves were responsible for their good sleep, but you and Gyro were the only ones who hadn't drunk the tea.

The light was slowly coming from the east and was only a pale shade of gray on the horizon. The air was bitterly cold and the fire wasn't very effective against the air on your torso covered only by a soft chest band. You winced, rubbing your hands on your arms, remembering your exposed tattoos.

Tired as you were, you just wanted to lie down on the cold sand and try to sleep, but you knew that nothing in this world could make you close your eyes and fall asleep like Johnny and Mountain Tim. You remained sitting silently next to Gyro, facing the fire. Your neck ached and your eyes squinted until you felt a faint ray of light hit your face. The sky opened with the sunrise.

''The race checkpoint is only a few minutes away.'' You spoke again, embarrassed at the silence. ''The sun has risen, I have to go. But before that, I want to give you something.''

''What do you mean?'' You were surprised by Gyro's incredibly calm voice. ''We're not in such a hurry.''

''Aren't you guys in the race? You should be in a hurry.''

''The horses need to rest.''

''I see.''

You stood up, grabbed your bag, and took out a glass jar full of herbs. Then you knelt beside Gyro and felt the sand scratching your bare knees.

''Red vines. It's very rare here. I thought I'd offer something for your horses, but I know you wouldn't take it.'' You handed him the pot, he looked at it with obvious curiosity and gave what could be described as the beginnings of a very faint smile. ''Perhaps you have heard of this herb, it's good for fatigue. Consider it a souvenir.''

You quickly called Cadichon and arranged your equipment. Gyro watched you silently, with a steady, neutral expression on his face. Then he examined the jar of ground herbs and let out a short, nasal laugh. You weren't as insufferable as he had thought.

You left as soon as possible and enjoyed some dried fruit for breakfast on the way, with a slight satisfaction.