"It was a long time ago. We don't hold grudges."

Alfred nodded in approval and glanced at the clock on the wall. For a second Gilbert's suspicions faded away.

"The break's almost over." Alfred said turning back to Gilbert. All of a sudden a playful smirk appeared on the American's face. "It's about time we woke our sleeping beauty up."

"I don't think it's a good idea," Gilbert seemed unsure, "Estonia once told me that if Ivan is sleeping, you can fire a cannon next to him - and he won't even flinch in his sleep..."

"Well, a cannon might not work - but I know what will!"

Before Prussia had a chance to say or do anything, America ran up to Russia and with one acute movement of a hand snatched the scarf right off Ivan's neck.

Immediately Russia's eyes snapped open.

"Rise and shine, commie!"

Ivan groggily lifted his head and, when the realisation hit him, quickly covered his neck with his left palm.

Kol-kol-kol-kol...

That was bad.

Prussia silently cursed. America kept laughing and playfully teasing Russia with the stolen scarf. Unlike Gilbert, he didn't seem to understand that for Ivan it was more than just a harmless prank.

"I would appreciate if you gave me my scarf back..." the menacing aura around Russia was becoming thicker and thicker. The fact that he didn't even insult America back for calling him a commie indicated how serious the matter was.

"America, really," to Alfred's utter surprise, Prussia didn't seem to be on his side, "stop it, please."

"C'mon, it's fun..." he answered and immediately switched his attention back to Ivan. "What's with you holding your neck like that anyway? Is your head going to fall off? Or you have something ridiculous tattooed there?" he asked mockingly.

Gilbert mentally facepalmed.

For a moment Ivan seemed to shudder but quickly returned to his threatening demeanor. He demanded, his voice hoarse and filled with quiet rage, not a trace of the usual creepy smile on his face,

"You. Will. Give. It. Back. Now."

At this rate, even Alfred noticed that something was not right. Normally Russia would only get "playfully" mad at this kind of miniscule shenanigans - and as scary as that was, it has never been even close to his current reaction.

Not wanting to escalate, America gave up and handed him the garment. Russia slowly stood up and took it, than said still hiding his neck,

"I will be back in a minute."

He left the room and his steps echoed in the hallway. Gilbert had noticed that his hands had been shaking ever so slightly.

"Dude, this guy is freaky... I mean, what's the big deal - it's just a scarf!"

For some reason Prussia felt outraged and... guilty? Well, it wasn't exactly "some" reason - a certain picture from Gilbert's memory flashed before his eyes...

* * *

"Stupid Russia and his stupid boss!" Little Prussia, at that time known as the Teutonic Order, muttered to himself while writing in his diary. "They tricked me to fall in that damn lake! And it was cold as fu..." he glanced around the room quickly hoping there weren't any adults to reprimand him for swearing.

Fortunately, there was nobody but his faithful Gilbird to listen to his complaining.

Suddenly an idea manifested in the boy's head.