18-DON'T BELIEVE

As my eyes opened back up and I became aware of my surroundings, I was met with the sight of a filthy, desolate room with flickering light strewn about. I noticed my vision was bobbing up and down, and I realised, soon enough, that it was because Aquila was carrying me down the corridor. I wanted to attack him and rush away, but my body felt so weak at this point, that I felt as though I wouldn't make a dent in him even with all of my force. He looked down briefly and his smile spread like a plague on his face once more. "You've decided to join us at just the perfect moment, my child. Prepare yourself, for you are about to make history." He whispered, before suddenly stopping walking. I looked to my side to see a metal table riddled with small holes, which I quickly became far more familiar with as he threw me right into it. It was cold and tough, and as I slammed into it, yet another jolt of pain surged through my body and woke me up fully to what exactly was going on. He wasted not a second before grabbing me and slamming me toward him so that I was on my back. And, within no time at all, his men swarmed around me and restrained each of my limbs. For what felt like the first time in a long time, there was no way out.

"Alright, I think it's time. Inject him again." He said, walking over right in front of me at the edge of the table. "More dosage this time, sir?" Inquired one of his men, nervousness in his weak voice. "Yes. Everything we've got. I know this won't be dealt with very quickly." And with that, the syringe jabbed into me once more and I fell asleep. I hoped, though, that I simply wouldn't go to the Parallel, that their attempt would be futile, and that I would indeed find a way out, but, at the same time, I knew that this would only prolong my stay in this horrible room. I drifted into sleep for a few moments, but sure enough, I opened my eyes not to the room, but to the Parallel plane, where I was surrounded everywhere by familiar sights, now suddenly tainted by context. Was this truly it? Was I going to fall here? Was the Parallel going to be fractured today?

I stood up and looked all around me, trying to find Aquila, but I saw no one. I was totally isolated, and for a moment, it gave me hope. I began to wander through the blades of grass, the beautiful nature of the Parallel plane. Perhaps I would prevail, after all, I thought. But, in any case, I needed to find and inform the Keeper of what was happening... Or maybe he already knew, maybe he had been watching me this whole time. "KEEPER? WHERE ARE YOU?!" I cried out, my mind pressed against the bars of this psychological prison of uncertainty. But there was no response, rather a dreadful silence. I waltzed timidly through the never-ending expanse of the Parallel, thinking about what would come next. Perhaps I was scared due to the lack of knowing, but it was also somewhat nice to have a moment of simple clarity, as I would likely need it leading into my next task.

Suddenly, a gust of wind greeted my back and sent a chill down my spine. I spun around to see The Keeper waiting solemnly behind me. "So, you made it." He said, pacing around with his head hung low afterward. "What do you mean by that?" I asked, skeptically. "Well, you know what has to happen now, don't you? You have to prove yourself, Hælend. This is the final stretch in your fight... At least for now." He said, trying to motivate me. But I saw right through it. "That's what I believed last time. I won't let you control me any longer, Keeper. This is it, this is the end of ME fighting for YOU." I barked back, feeling bravery smolder within me. "How do you know that, hm? The truth is, Hælend, you were born to do this, this is your purpose, you have to save the Parallel! You have to kill Aquila and protect this universe!" He replied, a pathetic quiver in his voice. "I will fight him, I will kill him. But, without a doubt, I'm not doing it for YOU. I'm doing it... For the first time, I'm doing this for my own reason. I don't care about your precious glass shard, I care about the people that I know. He threatens them. I will no longer fight your wars, I will fight for THEM!" I could feel an anger bubbling inside of my body, boiling. I wanted to take down that selfish manipulator right then and there, but knew I had greater priorities at hand. "Alright then, go ahead." He replied, gesturing his hand outward.